Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
p
paul
health savings account
for younger people who already get insurance through their work, can they also open a health savings account by paying for the cheapest high deductible plan they can find (and never using it since they have work insurance)? if this is done and this person switches o...
Views: 459   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 2, 2009 10:46am
by Andrew Schwartz ...
Bunching Deductions
This past year I had a fair amount of professional expenses related to fellowship (books, licensing fees, course fees, etc..) but they do not exceed the standard deduction when filing jointly with my wife. I also foresee having a high number of profession expenses (b...
Views: 519   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 2, 2009 10:43am
by Andrew Schwartz ...
j
John
Deferred Salary in S-Corp
Looking for an answer to this question: Setting up an S-Corp for medical practice and based on the business plan obviously there will be several months at the beginning where the Corp runs at a loss. I'll be the 100% shareholder and also working in the practice...
Views: 617   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 1, 2009 11:01am
by John
l
liz
filingstautes
if you have been filing married and joint return can i file single this year...
Views: 483   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 31, 2009 5:28pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
Question re: Schwartz & Schwart policy on resolving potential tax return errors with IRS
My husband and I are considering doing our taxes through Schwartz & Schwartz this year. In case there will be a mistake in a tax return, what is S&S's policy for resolving the matter with the IRS? Will Schwartz & Schwartz resolve the IRS dispute regarding any mistake...
Views: 492   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 31, 2009 5:26pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
Moving expenses
There is an above-the-line deduction for moving expenses to take one's first job. A common question is, does medical school-to-residency count? If so, if one missed this deduction for last year's taxes, can s/he retroactively apply for it?
Views: 491   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 30, 2009 5:19am
by Teri L. Botticel...
Taxes in another state
Hello, I work for the state of MD. I requested that DC taxes be taken out of my paycheck for the year 2008. Can I file my taxes in MD even though I had DC taxes deducted from my check? If so, how do I go about filing my taxes in MD?
Views: 407   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 28, 2009 6:02pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
Wasted deductions
Hi, My fiance only had 1/2 year's income (~$25k) and, unfortunately, is unable to utilize all of her deductions (i.e., she has no more tax to deduct, according to TaxAct): Excluded or partial deductions: Lifetime Learning Credit = $1500 out of $2000 Qualified...
Views: 561   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 28, 2009 3:44am
by Andrew Schwartz ...
d
David
sales tax deduction
I am thinking of using my year end credit card statement as proof of sales tax and using that instead of the IRS tables. How do I calculate this? $100 charged to a credit card with 7% sales tax does not mean I paid $7 in sales tax and bought $93 in goods ($93 + 7%...
Views: 409   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 28, 2009 3:39am
by Andrew Schwartz ...
Temporary Job Assignment
I am currently a fellow at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. My fellowship started in 7/1/2006 and ends at 6/30/2007. Prior to this fellowship, I had been at NYC, finishing up my residency at the Columbia University Medical Center. Af...
Views: 491   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 23, 2009 12:20am
by hiya
Bunch of questions
Hi, First, I'd like to thank Andrew Schwartz for a great web site and radio series. I and my future wife are both medical residents and have several questions. 1) For 2009, I am getting married. Our combined gross income will be $110-$120k. After the stand...
Views: 574   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 18, 2009 10:08am
by Adrian
o
Oncdoc
Deductions for self employment income
I had a question about allowable deductions from consulting money. I am a staff physician at a hospital and earn a few thousand dollars a year extra serving on advisory boards as a consultant. For the holidays, I give me secretaries and nurse practitioners betwee...
Views: 464   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 18, 2009 10:04am
by Adrian
j
JDW
Fellowship Temporary job with a twist
My husband completed a one year (minus one day) clinical fellowship in his specialty (Sports Med) two states away from our home (fellowship = Rush University, Chicago, IL; residency = University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA; home in Philadelphia, PA). His inten...
Views: 488   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 11, 2009 10:12am
by Andrew Schwartz ...
r
RJM
Simple IRA
My practice offers a simple IRA plan. Does the maximum contribution for 2009 take into account the 3% matching contribution from the practice, or does it just apply to what I contribute?
Views: 553   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 29, 2008 5:06pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
1) Personal self-employed pension, 2) Taxing of retirement vehicles
Hi, I have two questions: 1) How does the self-employed pension work, in terms of funding it, investing it, and withdrawing from it? 2) Currently, how are the different retirement vehicles (401k, Roth IRA, self-employed pension, Social Security, taxable acco...
Views: 604   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 28, 2008 6:37pm
by Lawrence B. Kell...
t
Tj
noncash benefits withholding taxes
My employer offers domestic partner health benefits, BUT I have to pay taxes on the non-cash contribution (the employers portion of the health insurance paid...?) DO I have to pay these taxes...? and how do I know how much is paid on my behalf for insurance and what...
Views: 326   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 16, 2008 8:26am
by Tj
Annual Tax and Basic Financial Planning Presentation - 1/22/09
I'm pleased to announce that Schwartz & Schwartz will be holding their annual complimentary presentation on the tax and basic financial planning issues affecting young healthcare professionals starting at 6 pm on 1/22/09 at the Brookline Holiday Inn. For more info,...
Views: 529   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 15, 2008 8:47pm
by ek
m
Mary
Self Employed Loss
I am a Real Estate self employed agent. We have a buyer that has litigation that his basement leaks and he does not want his home. Although I am covered with Errors and Ommissions insurance, the buyer wants settlement for the insurance comany to buy back the home....
Views: 438   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 14, 2008 10:59am
by Andrew Schwartz ...
employed without 401
I joined a group practice which does not have a 401k. I put away 5000k with an IRA, and rolled over my former employers 403b into the IRA. Is there anything else I can do to put away more for retirement? Do I have to rush to get it in by Dec 31st? many thanks Mark
Views: 379   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 6, 2008 2:31pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
o
Oleg
rental investment
Hello , I interested in investing my HELOC into rental property . Does it make sense regarding tax didaction ? Thanks , Oleg
Views: 679   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 10, 2008 5:00pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
charity care and tax write offs
i work for my dad, who is an oncologist, hematologist, and internist. anyways, he does a lot of charity care. however, the charity care he provides is evaluation and management in our office. all procedures are done in the hospital. i was wondering if this could...
Views: 538   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 29, 2008 6:45am
by Teri Botticelli
Is there any practical limit to how nice a car one can deduct?
This is a hypothetical question. I read that if you are an independent contractor or otherwise incorporated, you can deduct the actual costs for driving between job sites. To maximize this, many people formally define part of their house or apartment as a Home Offi...
Views: 637   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 18, 2008 4:31am
by Andrew Schwartz ...
r
raj
lease or purchase
Just a quick general question regarding eventual vehicle purchase for work ... well actually 2 questions ... If I take a W-2 employee job or a consultant position, can I write off car expenses? I plan to also have a private practice eventually ... In either case, is...
Views: 493   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 18, 2008 4:22am
by Andrew Schwartz ...
r
raj
business expenses - llc, scorp? do i need a business credit card?
The title is kinda self-explanatory, but I was wondering what kind of business set up is best for someone working full time as a w-2/consultant in a hospital/someone else's practice and also part time in their own private practice (eventually 100% private). Also,...
Views: 659   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 18, 2008 4:17am
by Andrew Schwartz ...
e
eric
retirement for spouse
My wife and I are both physicians. I am in solo practice (incorporated as an S Corp) and she is a parttime employee of a 8 doctor practice. It does not appear that she will be eligible for a retirement plan. I am in the process of constructing a new office and h...
Views: 836   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 17, 2008 7:55pm
by eric
b
Ben
Extra income
Hi, I work as an employee in a group with a W2 income. Recently, an agency asked me to do some review work for medicare which pays well. I have the options of getting paid through my work place which they have contract, or compensated as an individual contractor...
Views: 733   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 15, 2008 5:44pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
k
kp
health care contract lawyer
hi- any recommendations for a good contract lawyer in Boston area for physician job contracts?
Views: 645   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 14, 2008 12:21pm
by Gerry Oginski
n
nandi
401k/safe harbor gaffe
hi, i am a solo owner and a s- corp. for the year 2007 i made teh employee contribution of 15,500 but not the employer contribution part of it. i further more did not make the optional part of the contribution 1. can i make it now? 2. is there a penalty? 3. how...
Views: 634   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 1, 2008 6:07pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
e
EY
Changing lease on medical equipment
I entered a lease on medical equipment (vein ablation) but the company recently went bankrupt and was purchased by another company. Though they claim to be continuing to offer product support, I have questions about their viability. Key Bank is handling the lease t...
Views: 666   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 1, 2008 6:04pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
hsa
Hello. I am in a high deductible health insurance plan and we use my HSA as a Roth. We have no plans to touch it and plan to let it grow indefinitely. If I decide to withdraw from it say, 30 years from now, do I need to keep medical receipts that long for proper "r...
Views: 773   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 21, 2008 2:21pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
Practice related meals
Hello, I'm a busy solo practioner in private practice with a s-corp entity. Since I'm always traveling between office, hospital, nursing home, I tend to grab lunch on the go in order to save time at eg: McDonalds. Is this meal deductible? Would I be able to deduc...
Views: 797   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 18, 2008 2:31pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
e
eric
hiring kids..
I have an interesting question. I listened to your podcast on the advantages of hiring kids or a spouse. My three kids are young (all under 5). However, it seems reasonable to use them as advertising for my practice. I plan to use them on a website or on promo...
Views: 823   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 5, 2008 10:08pm
by eric
a
Adrian
travel costs
what costs during business travel are deductible? I am sure flight, hotel, taxi is fully deductible - but what about the meals i had while on travel - does it have to be only a "business" meeting meal, or can it include breakfast, lunch and dinner while travelling? i...
Views: 761   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 1, 2008 10:48am
by Gary Davis
j
JD
Keeping tax receipts
I'm cleaning out my file cabinet, and someone told me to hold onto 10 years worth of tax returns. I just got a fast scanner and can scan tons of documents quickly. Is it ok to scan items and keep the records as a pdf, or are there specific items that I should keep...
Views: 825   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 26, 2008 9:49am
by Andrew Schwartz ...
FDIC Insurance Loss
I lost 15K of unsecured amount after FDIC took over IndyMac bank . May write it off with 2008 taxes ?
Views: 679   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 26, 2008 9:47am
by Andrew Schwartz ...
How can I avoid capital gains taxes?
I moved to Houston, TX around November of 2004 and rented out the condo I own in Silver Spring, MD until now. I am in the process of closing on the sale of the condo and want to know what I can do with the money I make off the sale to avoid capital gains taxes? I p...
Views: 884   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 3, 2008 5:37pm
by Sharonda Millner
w
Wayne
2008 Special Vehicle Depreciation
In order to get the special vehicle depreciation, does the vehicle have to meet any special criteria like over 6000 lbs? I believe there was special criteria for section 178(?) depreciation which applied to luxury cars.
Views: 701   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 30, 2008 5:09pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
Malpractice Tail
I have to pay $36000 for tail coverage of a malpractice insurance. Will I be able to write it off under employee expenses and does AMT negate most of that. Income of around 275000. Thanks for help.
Views: 835   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 29, 2008 5:15pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
k
Ken
Solo 401(k)
Hi Andrew, This is a great site, you have provided me with great advice over the years. I am employed through a University, and max out my 403(b), but I also generate some income through an LLC. Even with maxing out my 403(b), if I set up a Solo 401(k) through my...
Views: 737   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jun 15, 2008 1:28pm
by jsimmons@ida.net
n
nandi
cafeteria plan
hi, can you give info on the cafeteria plan. what is the advantage and disadvantages. is it very expensive to set it up. thank you nandi
Views: 535   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 15, 2008 11:06am
by jsimmons@ida.net
a
Adrian
IRA - SEP-IRA
If i max out my SEP-IRA can i still add to another IRA with pre-tax money - is there a limit of pre-tax dollars that can be put away (like multiple IRAs?) what about a non-working spouse - can i create/add to an IRA? or am i stuck with post-tax investments/annu...
Views: 769   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 15, 2008 10:55am
by jsimmons@ida.net
l
Linda
Profit sharing- overpaid
Hi Andrew, I paid more into my profit sharing plan for 2007 than was allowed. My financial consultant told me that instead of moving that money out of the investment, I just have to claim it as a 2008 contribution into either my 401k or my PSP and I should be fine....
Views: 547   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 15, 2008 10:46am
by jsimmons@ida.net
d
dan
re:IRA and 401 K
Hi Andrew, Could you tell us if we can maintain an IRA with 10,00 limit for a joint couple and also in addition , I can do a 401 k for me in the hospital .. Are there any limits ? Thanks
Views: 491   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 15, 2008 10:36am
by jsimmons@ida.net
Home Offfice Deduction
I am on track to make about $15,000 on a W2 Form this year. I rent an apartment and was hoping to deduct some of the rent under the Home Office portion of my rent. What is involved with this? Is this a red flag for auditing?
Views: 794   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 6, 2008 12:53pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
Views: 479   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 30, 2008 4:16am
by Andrew Schwartz ...
b
Brian
Andrew: Red Flags for Auditing?
Hello Andrew, I enjoyed your interviews that were posted in the homepage of the website. You briefly mentioned your auditing rate for your physician clients. I was wondering from your experience what in those returns made the IRS suspicious? Not that I want to avo...
Views: 683   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 17, 2008 5:54pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
depreciation of royalties
How do I figure depreciation on oil and gas royalties?
Views: 455   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 17, 2008 12:00pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
home refinance
I am refinancing my home for the current amount of my mortgage and am paying points to buy the rate down. If I pay for the points this year can I claim them as a tax deduction this year since I am not taking out any equity? It is normal practice in my area to pay poi...
Views: 576   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 17, 2008 11:55am
by Andrew Schwartz ...
k
k.f.
automobile deduction
In planning for the 2008 tax year (already!), I have a question re: purchasing a vehicle and the work-related automobile deduction. You very nicely outlined deducting mileage vs. actual expenses on your website(http://www.mdtaxes.com/news1206.html). However, I w...
Views: 464   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 12, 2008 5:58pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
r
Rob
Private Mortgage Insurance
My wife and I are planning to buy a house soon and are confused about the new tax law regarding Private mortgage insurance. Is it now deductible the same way as mortgage interest, and is there an income limit to take the deduction? As I understand, there is no income...
Views: 513   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 7:00pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10