Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Medical Resident FICA Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: IRS Reponds to My FICA Refund Request

Great question.

Please check out my article at: http://www.mdtaxes.com/news0410.html#2, where the IRS addresses that they will be procssing claims for pre-4/1/2005 FICA taxes only.

I do think that filing refund claims each year is the only way that you might get back money down the road if the IRS keeps losing court cases and needs to refund these FICA taxes at a later date. Once the Statute of Limitation passes, then you most likely won't be able to file a refund claim, even if the rules subsequently change. That's why the IRS waited until 2010 to announce that they will begin processing the pre-2005 refund claims, since it became too late for new claims to be filed. Very tricky of them.

Zip Code: 01801

Re: IRS Reponds to My FICA Refund Request

I did my residency during 1999-2004. I guess I don't have a chance to file a claim individually now if my emprolyer did not file the refund claim timely. But thanks for the effort.

Ben Liu

Zip Code: 14534