Angela's Online Discussion Group

Considering the real-time nature of the message board(s), Human Earth Animal Liberation (HEAL) cannot review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. We do not actively monitor the contents of posted messages, are not responsible for any messages posted, do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of the Administrators or any entity or individual associated with HEAL. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact the Administrators immediately by email at info@heal-online.org. The Website Administrators may in its discretion remove such material, but neither the removal nor the failure to do so shall result in liability to anyone. Because removal is a manual process, removal or editing particular messages may not occur immediately.   Although the Administrators do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, they reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold the Website harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).

Due to abuse of this forum it is now password protected.  To request the password, please send an e-mail to angela@heal-online.org, subject: bravenet forum password.  I will then send a verification e-mail to you and if approved, you will be given the password.  Survivors may express their feelings and thoughts with out editing them.  This is our message board and will be used and monitored to insure this remains a safe place for survivors, their families, and sympathetic parties to post their experiences.   In addition, HEAL has two additional and separate message boards.  Survivors and others wishing to discuss the behavior modification industry, please visit NEW FORUM at: http://heal-online.org/tinc?key=aOvhgoOX&start=-1&reverse=1  You may also visit www.heal-online.org for links to more forums.  We suggest you also utilize these boards as this board has limited space and therefore we are forced to delete messages from time to time.  If you have a news story you wish to share, please e-mail it to heal@heal-online.org and we will post it online at www.heal-online.org/news.htm.  Do not use this message board to post news reports.  Thank you.

Angela's Online Discussion Group
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
interesting forum.....fascinating

DISCLAIMER: Some of my memories are hazy and may be inaccurate. Many of them are quite sharp and I am certain that they are right on, as if it was just yesterday. Hopefully, there's someone out there that can correct me where warranted and/or fill in some of the missing details.

I was there from October 1981 to August 1982. There were no female students then. I remember the receptionist. She married Jack Williams son and they lived together in a house next to the entrance to the school. He drove a big green jeep. I think her name was Kathi, but it might have been Lori, or something else. Those of you who remember her must remember her in much the same way that I do. Wow! Also, I remember Jan and Lori well. They were teachers. I was a 16-17 year old boy.

So, Paris Hilton went there also. You may be interested to know that there were two other celebrities that went there in the early years when the school was known as Mapleton: Edward and Alex Van Halen. Or, so we were told. Never was able to get any official confirmation. It seems that a lot of former students choose to simply move on and never look back.

I personally knew a young man there named Steven A. When he was called Radler he would "flip out". There was a talent show where several students performed Jumping Jack Flash. Kevin K. sang the lead vocals, Dan L. played the bass, Steven N. played the guitar and sang also. Steven A. was the original drummer but was kicked out of the band by myself, John P., and Paul C., a tall skinny punk rocker that took his place as drummer and performed competently. Steven A. was a "spazz" and it was reflected in his drumming. He later went on to become the drummer for one of the most successful rock bands of all time, but was kicked out for problems related to his heroin addiction.

I remember many other people that I met there VERY clearly. Joseph Wambaugh's (the author) son went there. His name is Jason. He wanted to kick my ass one day for some reason, but I was saved by Lars C. from Alaska. Thanks again, Lars.

Craig Nettles' (the baseball player) son went there. I think his name was Greg, but not sure. He was very young.

Steve Craig's (the football player) brother or cousin Dave worked there as a counselor.

Through the PE coach, "Coach", himself a silver medalist in the Olympics for shot putting, we met several well known athletes from BYU. I remember meeting Jim Mcmahon personally and listening to him joke about carrying beers across campus. I remember playing basketball against two players from BYU that went on to play in the NBA, Greg Kite and Fred Roberts. Greg Kite shattered one of the back boards with a ferocious slam dunk. It wasn't repaired throughout the duration of my stay there. Somewhere, I still havce a piece of the glass.

There were others that you've probably heard of, but you get the idea. A wide variety of people across the country had a connection to Provo Canyon School.

I could go on and on about PCS for days, but I'll pause here, and see if I get any response.

If I post here again, I'll relate how I got hooked up with Gloria Allred, eventually leading to my early exit from PCS after only 10 months.

Several years ago I learned of the passing of Nelson Williams, a closed friend and a true gentleman. I found his grandmother's obituary on the internet and he was listed as preceding her in death. I would be interested in any information that anyone might have about the circumstances. Also, I would like to know what happened to Barry K.. He was my "buddy" on the outside units when I was in intake.

Best wishes to all of you.