Angela's Online Discussion Group

Considering the real-time nature of the message board(s), Human Earth Animal Liberation (HEAL) cannot review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. We do not actively monitor the contents of posted messages, are not responsible for any messages posted, do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of the Administrators or any entity or individual associated with HEAL. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact the Administrators immediately by email at info@heal-online.org. The Website Administrators may in its discretion remove such material, but neither the removal nor the failure to do so shall result in liability to anyone. Because removal is a manual process, removal or editing particular messages may not occur immediately.   Although the Administrators do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, they reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold the Website harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).

Due to abuse of this forum it is now password protected.  To request the password, please send an e-mail to angela@heal-online.org, subject: bravenet forum password.  I will then send a verification e-mail to you and if approved, you will be given the password.  Survivors may express their feelings and thoughts with out editing them.  This is our message board and will be used and monitored to insure this remains a safe place for survivors, their families, and sympathetic parties to post their experiences.   In addition, HEAL has two additional and separate message boards.  Survivors and others wishing to discuss the behavior modification industry, please visit NEW FORUM at: http://heal-online.org/tinc?key=aOvhgoOX&start=-1&reverse=1  You may also visit www.heal-online.org for links to more forums.  We suggest you also utilize these boards as this board has limited space and therefore we are forced to delete messages from time to time.  If you have a news story you wish to share, please e-mail it to heal@heal-online.org and we will post it online at www.heal-online.org/news.htm.  Do not use this message board to post news reports.  Thank you.

Angela's Online Discussion Group
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My opinion

That place was a joke, sure for an average minded kid it was bad but i was way to smart for the staff there and could manipulate myself out of anything, I made it to level 4 within a month and was sent back home to indiana in 6 months. My dad thought he was doing somehting good for me but it was just a big waste of money because he did not know how to raise a teenager. Some of the kids there were treated badly and were put in the tank so to speak and made to hold books in front of themselves for hours against a wall with no windows or anything. I had made some good relationships with alot of the staff and one particular I still think about to this day and his name was Mark, when i was there in 93 this hispanic kids hit and broke a staff member named Dale i believe for no reason. To me it's the therapist and some bad apples that ruin it for everyone else, not every staff memeber there when i was were bad. I had a great time there but i was different than most that were sent by the court systems. I have often thought about going back there and trying to make a change. I do not ever believe a child should be harmed or put on medication, to me that is lazy parenting and bad teachings. I am 30 now and work for a major hospital and have 2 beautiful kids and wife. The moral is kids are kids and society all of the sudden things something is wrong with us! lol

Re: My opinion

91-93
I have to agree with you. I was well liked, and taken home by more than one of the staff members on holidays and my birthday. It is all about playing the game with those people. They are not too smart. I would not say that I had fun, but I defiantly made the best out of my situation. I met two of my best friends there, so I don't regret PCS entirely.

But it was different with us, because we were not mentally ill. I only assume that you are not mentally ill because of your post. I was treated very well while I was in PCS.

The main problem with PCS is that they take mentally ill kids and punish them for doing things related to their disease. PCS is not a treatment center like they claim. I saw a lot of mental abuse. On the girls campus, if you were not liked, you were treated like scum. I was hardly in investment, so I did not see much of the physical abuse; however, it has been described to me by very trust worthy people. Much of the mental abuse came from the fact that the unit staff were not very worldly people. They were not use to dealing with kids that were from poor parts of the country. They were treated like garbage. They were made fun of to their faces.

As for the physical abuse, there was a girl that overdosed drugs on a home visit during my stay. She came very close to death. They made that girl, whose face was paralyzed, go back to PCS. She did not get proper drug counseling, nor did she get the medical care she needed. She was severely punished for this. I am sorry, but I do not think that someone who almost dies needs to be punished three days later. How can you punish someone for an addiction? They need to be treated.

There was another girl I knew very well. She flipped out at PCS. She spent her entire time in investment. She would be put in isolation rooms for days. This girl had a swollen stomach and yellow skin. I could only assume that these things were from lack of sunlight and physical activity. They kept her like this for a year and a half before sending her somewhere else.

Re: Re: My opinion

Well, Geoff, I'm glad someone had "fun"! Sure, I occassionaly had a bit of fun. I liked that river trip, too.

However, as a medical professional, I am well aware and appalled of the PCS program. The more I learned in school, and the more I practiced nursing, the more I realized just how bad PCS is. Their practices simply would not be acceptable in the medical community. Yet PCS continues to get away with this because they misrepresent, misguide, manipulate, and lie (I have witnessed this firsthand).

Clearly, I have a responsibility to inform the public about (not just) my experiences, but also those things I witnessed involving other girls.

Re: Re: My opinion

hey Angela,

I have 2 kids now and would never put them through any program like PCS or any other program like it. I was just a spoiled kids who's father did not know what to do with a teenager so he passed me off to PCS. I did not have mental illness's or anything and have never taken any form of mental narcotic but the kids that did have those problems there were treated badly and the staff for sure played favorites, i was just lucky that they all liked me!

Re: Re: Re: My opinion

That is the truth. I saw what they did to people they did not like. It was not pretty.

Re: Re: Re: Re: My opinion

i was one of them.i wish i could close that place down!