The Navigator Stove Forum

The Navigator Stove Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Herring stove info

Hello, I'm Luca from Italy. I own an American 28' vintage trailer am restoring. I wonder if your nice Herring diesel stove could be good for my pourpose. If yes, could it provide hot water by heater water system? And what about monoxide issue?
Thanks in advance, any advice will be appreciated

Luca

Re: Herring stove info

L,

Yes, the HERRING would be fine and it would provide PLENTY of heat. You will need to consider where you will place your (max 3 gal.) gravity fuel tank. Diesel goes & goes & goes, but why not a simpler system like a COD or SARDINE? Most airstreams have a vent in the floor which was used to bring air to the combo gas/electric refrigerator. It's wise to keep that active to feed a stove w/air and fresh air replacement for the space generally. You'd want to install a CO monitor as you would with any stove. We also make a hydronic heat exchanger system that you could take advantage of to generate hot water but you are adding system complexity when a big tea pot could be used to make a batch of hot water for dinner dishes? A/NSW

Andrew,

I am curious... In the photo of the Herring there is a motor behind it.. Is that a fuel pump or blower?

Thank you,
Tim

T,

Which picture exactly?

First pic here? > http://marinestove.com/herringinfo.htm

If so, that's a meter valve (by now out of business mfr) which we
were originally planning to use with the adjustment rod coming up
w/cast knob. We now use a dual needle valve arrangement.

No blowers or electrics needed with this stove. Simple as simple can be!

If you were looking at picture 2 on the same page, in the upper left hand corner of the H there is the motor for a table saw sort of superimposed with the stove

A/NSW

Andrew,

Yeah I was looking at the first pic on the herring page..

That is so cool, no electricity.. And a beautiful stove.

Thank you!
Tim

Our goal is to remove complexity which can increase the odds of failure.
Strip it down to the essentials....
A/NSW

Andrew Moore
Our goal is to remove complexity which can increase the odds of failure.
Strip it down to the essentials....
A/NSW

Andrew,
I read your observations and was in doubt some days about Little Cod like the best choice. However I guess Herring's could be better for my trailer's planning on. I need Herring's drawning for a good structure's evaluation if available. Can you help me?

Thanks Luca

L,

HERRING = same footprint as SARDINE here >
http://marinestove.com/LCdimensions.htm
However Herring is 28" tall overall and NO door on right side.
(or any side for that matter).
A/NSW

Andrew Moore
L,

HERRING = same footprint as SARDINE here >
http://marinestove.com/LCdimensions.htm
However Herring is 28" tall overall and NO door on right side.
(or any side for that matter).
A/NSW

Andrew,

no details I need there. It's about fresh air from outside the trailer's issue you told me back. Trailer's check up is ok for good vent next Harring's place I'd fix on. I wonder if so doing nothing else would be requested. Maybe somewhere in Herring's hardware is present a in-hole for a pipe between the stove ad the vent?

Thanks

Luca

L,

None of our stoves rely on a hard piping connection to bring combustion air to the stove itself. For very tight structures, yes you would want to ensure that provision was made for allowing outside air to come into the structure. Airstreams commonly have a floor register/vent to outside underneath the old combination electric/gas refrigerator. It does not really matter where the vent is located in such a small space. We also have some nicely made all copper exterior wall mount fittings (with animal screen) which can be used to plumb air venting to the vicinity of the stove, but not directly connected. A butterfly vent cover may be used to trim out the interior termination of the vent tube. Open when stove running, closed to reduce drafts when not in use.
Like one of these: http://www.fisheriessupply.com/sea-dog-line-butterfly-vent-with-side-knob

A/NSW