National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

General & Collecting News
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thomas & Williams Lamp

I have a safety lamp stamped with Thomas and Williams of Aberdere. Photos below

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2646/3993084003_9a4d847fcb_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3535/3993835810_cba7770ac6_b.jpg

Can anyone tell me the type of lamp and what date was it made?

There is the number 5 stamped on some of the brass parts.

Re: Thomas & Williams Lamp

No kieran try and put the J pegs on this forum so
we can all see how this is done......
And tell us all how this is done...

Not sure if this will work in bb code on here otherwise copy and paste the link into the search engine address bar of your browser

OK It worked . Rescued this from a building scheduled for demolition and as an ex mineral exploration geologist I recognised it as a safety lamp and took it for nostalgic reasons thinking it was a replica.

Kieran,
It's strange that your e-mail address is not recognised and that santaidd was on the case before we spoke, so to say.
The T&W Davy Lamp is missing its gauze smoke cap. It looks authentic, but Thomas and Williams also made these in later years for use in mining colleges as teaching pieces. These were to the original specifications, so are hard to distinguish between those and proper mining lamps actually used down a pit, in the relevant period. Could fetch up to £145 on E-Bay. (prices down about 25-30% at moment)
Not really a rare lamp for collectors, but attractive to starters.
I would be suspicious of it being original to the period though, as the bars are too pristine and straight, there is no wear or knocks to the vessel (the lathe turning rings are still unworn) and apart from the saddle top distortion - there are no knocks or wear and tear at all. More than likely a Schools lamp.
ETW make a similar lamp today, solely for sale in museum gift shops and for presentations, but although they look the same and are nearly same, they would not be passed for use down a pit
Charles

Cheers Charles. I wondered if the smoke cap was missing or if it was just a different design. It probably looks cleaner in the photo than it really is due to the flash.

E mail address idn't work because I didn't type it out if full which I've ammended in this post.

It will sit on my hearth to remind me of crawling down old world war two gold mines dug by the Germans in Serbia with local coal miners.