National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

Mining Checks, Tallies, Tokens & Medals
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Modified Welsh Polo Checks

I don’t know if any other collectors have noticed the following or can throw any light on it or the reasons behind it?

Over the years I have noticed several Welsh Polo Lamp Checks which have been purposely modified via the cutting of a wedge shaped gusset from their outer edge that typically extends 60 to 75% of the way to the inner edge. Sometimes the gusset has been cut out very precisely with what I can only assume was a metal saw blade. Other times the edges appear more ragged as if roughly chiselled out. Such modifications appear to be mainly on examples of the larger diameter (i.e. 53.5 mm dia.) type Polos and can be found on checks originating different pits within the South Wales Coalfield. A typical example of one such Polo check (Glamorgan Coal Company, Llwynypia Pits) is shown below

I have see too many of these altered Polos bearing this later alteration for it just to be coincidence. The gussets were obviously made for a common purpose but what could this have been and why? Can anyone else throw any further light on this subject or sight examples of similar modified Polo’s they have seen, stating if on the larger or smaller diameter check type?

Thanks

Mark Smith

Re: Modified Welsh Polo Checks

Hi Mark
I have quite a collection of both large and regular Welsh Polos, but this is the first time I have come across these modifications.
There is more than one pit involved, so it cannot be a site specific reason, such as a stack of spacers used to level a mackine up (and yes I have come across this!) or to operate a swictch on a site specific piece of equipment.
I just wonder if it was used on a modified dotto clocking in machine, where the check inserted allowed the collier to punch in his number.

When I worked at the pits in Kent many of us used our checks to slice open our oranges! Now a Tilmanstone pear shaped check was awkward to use but a hexagonal check was sometimes handed round that worked much better. So did these notched Polos turn it into a handy little gadgets for something? Just a thought.

Before getting rid of my polo checks I can remember having at least a couple of the larger examples with this sort of wedge shape cut out of them.

Dave