National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

Mining Checks, Tallies, Tokens & Medals
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rarer Checks, Badges and Tokens or unseen Variations

How about collectors of the above sharing images of some of their prize items with the rest of collectors?
Have a try at posting images on the forum, if you have trouble, contact Mark and ask for help. I am sure this would be very interesting for us all.
I will post a few when I get time after the harvesting and re-sowing season, but in the meantime look forward to seeing others.
No matter how big or small your collection, or whether you are unsure about the rarity of your item, if it is one of your favourites and think others will be interested - post a pic!!

Re: Rare Sneyd Check Variation

The following picture of an aluminium embossed check (possibly a pay check?) from Sneyd Colliery in Stoke-on-Trent was sent to me a few years ago by a collector in Yorkshire.

It is the only such example I’ve come across and is seemingly unknown to most collectors from North Staffordshire also. Has anyone else seen one before?

Thanks

Mark

Re: Rare Sneyd Check Variation

Hi Mark,
I have not seen that variation before and it is a nice check.
Can you post on the forum an idiots guide to getting the images on.
I recall that you need a seperate site as a host for the pictures; can you advise. I will print it off this time and save it!!
Charles

Adding Images to the Forum

Re: Adding Images to the Forum

Old Silkstone Clarkes.

Oaks Barnsley 1868

Done it!!!!
Two of my suite of favourite Pit Checks.

Oaks Check

Hi Charles

Nice checks. What is on the back of the Oaks check? Is there a stamped number or some initials maybe? What dates the check to 1868? Is that the year prior to the stated owner on the check changing?

Lets have a few more nice pics posted. Its great to see what is out there.

Mark

Re: Oaks Check

427 stamped on back. Colin Jackson has the life of the pit as 1838 to 1869.
Heres two more, will try and post some more later.

Mount Osbourne - Listed as opening 1870, without a closing date listed, but I am told it was in the centre of Barnsley!!

Monkton Main Coal Co, Where does this Company fit in? Obviously colliers as it is a lamp check!
New Monkton Collieries 1876-1966 are the only operators listed.

Pete, next time enter the "img" in lower case letters and it should work OK - Mark - Cracking checks !!!

Mark, you may have to put a fourth catagory on the list, just for members rare/favourite checks, so that it does not obscure the other messages for the catagory.
But some cracking checks coming on.
Hope other collctors show us some more rare, unusual or their favourite checks.
The Churwell check of Petes, I have never seen before and did not know existed!! Only seen the famous embossed fake one (too good to be a Mulliner)

Re: Rarer Checks, Badges and Tokens or unseen Variations

Some of My rarer Welsh small polo's, more to come later

The following images have been sent in by collectors to share with the rest of us. If you are still having problems with posting images directly onto the Forum then send them into the site and we will try and post them on your behalf.

Earl of Warwick's Grefield Colliery, Clutton, Somerset Coalfield. Brass, 26 mm dia. Uniface. Possibly a Time Check.

Earl of Warwick's Grefield Colliery, Clutton, Somerset Coalfield. Brass, 38 mm dia. Uniface. Lamp Check.

Foxley Oaks Colliery, Clay Cross, North Derbyshire Coalfield. Brass, 32 mm dia. Beaded reverse border. Miner's Association Membership Badge. c.1870s.

Two superb checks and a very rare Association badge. Thanks for sharing those with us. I have a Greyfields somewhere and will try and find it to put on.
Come on the rest of our collector members, sort out some checks, association, enamel or medals to put on this forum. Don't worry if you are not sure about rareness - if you like them, whatever they are, share them with us, you may find out information about them that you never knew. We would like to see them.

Here is a variation of the above Greyfield. These are Grayfield, but probably same pit. I have heard of it being spelt both ways, but never seen the Greyfield version on previous post. Number 44 is a spare for sale.
The other check is an interesting one - probably the long term management of Colonel John Hargreaves Burnley Pit by the executors.

Bromley Silkstone Colliery, Wortley, Near Barnsley. Brass; 40 mm diameter.

Here is the latest check picture sent into the Forum from a collector in Warwickshire

Ammington Colliery, Tamworth, South Staffordshire; Brass; 32 mm diameter; uniface

How about these two more unusual tokens!!

1. Markham Collieries Canteen on one side AND Meat Sandwich on other side.

2. Hebburn Colliery. Duffs New System of Trading on one side and £1 on the other.