National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

Mining Lamps, Badges & Ephemra
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
spiralarm type M lock

Good morning, I have just discovered you site whilst searching the internet. I have began collecting lamps and have a Spiralarm type M which I cant open. Any help to complete the task of opening this would be very much appreciated.

many thanks
baz

Re: spiralarm type M lock

To stop the spiral arm M from being unscrewd there should be a
Steel pin on the bottom rings, if this pin is absent and it still
Will not unscrew then you will have to get it in vice with protected
Jaws and use an Auto oil filter removal tool to try and unscrew
The base, but be careful, try a bit of WD40 before you try to unscrew.
On Youtube there is a video about the spiralarm under the name

minelamp spiralarm

Manchester thanks very much for your reply, there is a steel pin on middle ring of the lamp. The top of the lamp moves slightly but it feels like there is a lock preventing it moving further. Could this possibly be an internal magnetic lock?

Yep, sounds as if the lock is still active. You need to get a strong magnet and apply it to the single steel pillar on the lamp, which should draw up the lock. There's plenty of those sold on ebay, or you could find a friendly collector with one!

Thanks very much for your help lads, very much appreciated I will give it a go with the magnet

Are you sure, you apply a magnet to the steel pillar and it opens
The lamp, how does this work.
The next thing you will be telling us is that Baxendales the
Plumbers merchants of Miller St Manchester made miners lamps.

Surprisingly because its a magnetic lock, and the pin is at the bottom of the only steel pillar on the cage! Have a look at one some time.

David you were spot on i put the magnet on the steel pillar and it worked 1st time. Thanks very much for the genuine advice.