Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Medical Resident FICA Forum
Start a New Topic 
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
l
Lauren
FICA refund
I just got my refund from Women and Infants Hospital in Providence RI, the spreadsheet included shows 1999 and 2000 only. I was a resident from 1996-2000 so I am wondering if another check (hopefully!!) is coming? Does anyone know which years are being refunded? I r...
Views: 467   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 2, 2013 9:42pm
by Lauren
r
Roger
Just received FICA refund
Just received FICA refund from Massachusetts General Hospital on 5/15/13.
Views: 416   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 22, 2013 8:11pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
e
eric
just received fica refund
Duke is now sending FICA checks.
Views: 339   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 23, 2013 12:09pm
by eric
r
Roger
Re: Fica refund received 10/18/12! 11 Years later!
I was a intern in Baltimore (Sinai Hospital) from 2000-2001. I just received my FICA refund check for 2001 calendar year and a second check for the interest payment. The letter also states that a 1099-INT will be issued in January 2013. I hope my Boston residency...
Views: 539   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 29, 2012 10:41am
by seth
j
John
FICA refund delayed
Due to an error in interest calculation by the IRS, refunds are being delayed (at least at my institution). They were supposed to pay out by August 31st. Here is the update from Northwestern: August 15, 2012 - STATUS UPDATE The IRS has been processing FICA refund...
Views: 1072   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 7, 2012 9:04am
by John
j
John
FICA refund approved
Just an FYI that I got a letter from my residency program that the refund application was approved, and the IRS is going to start sending refunds. My program expects everyone to have their refund no later than August 31, 2012.
Views: 524   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 7, 2012 9:25am
by Andrew Schwartz ...
Let's work together on this FICA issue
Please remember to post whatever you hear or read regarding this FICA issue on this forum. The IRS keeps losing in the courts. Hopefully at some point you and your colleagues will be entitled to receive a refund of the FICA and Medicare taxes paid while completing...
Views: 962   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 11, 2011 8:28am
by Andrew Schwartz ...
FICA Refund Denied by Supreme Court for post 4/1/05 claims
Sadly, he U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously Tuesday that medical residents aren't exempt from payroll taxes, declining to force the U.S. Internal Revenue Service to recognize the physicians-in-training as students. This ruling applies to post 4/1/05 earnings....
Views: 591   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 12, 2011 9:06am
by Andrew Schwartz ...
Losing out on Social Security Disability Benefit
I had a client ask whether getting the FICA refund might impact her ability to collect the Social Security Disability Benefit down the road. So I went to www.ssa.gov, and here's what I found: The number of work credits you need to qualify for disability benefits...
Views: 486   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 2, 2010 12:00pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
Hit to my Social Security Benefit
As I am sure you know there has been debate regarding whether medical residents should pay FICA taxes. I recently received a letter from BIDMC (my employer at the time) about filing a claim for return of my FICA taxes paid from 1999 to 2005 on behalf of all housesta...
Views: 677   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 27, 2010 8:35am
by Andrew Schwartz ...
r
Roger
Re: FICA refund request from my internship 2000-2001
Sinai Hospital in Baltimore (my internship for 2000-2001) sent me a letter to authorize them to release my FICA refund. There was a consent form attached that I was required to send. Things to note: 1) If you receive one of those letters, you must fill it out in...
Views: 579   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 2, 2010 11:31pm
by Roger
IRS Reponds to My FICA Refund Request
Some background: I was a medical resident in Los Angeles in 2005, 2006, and 2007, and have been deligently and methodically asking the IRS to refund me the deducted FICA taxes since 2008. It took about a year for the IRS to consider my request complete and valid --...
Views: 701   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 10, 2010 11:24am
by Ben Liu
FICA Taxes - Resident Exemption Wins!
IRS To Honor Medical Resident FICA Refund Claims IR-2010-25, March 2, 2010 WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service has made an administrative determination to accept the position that medical residents are excepted from FICA taxes based on the studen...
Views: 699   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 8, 2010 9:30pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
Huge News - Looks Like the IRS Will Begin Processing the FICA Refunds
Unbelievable. Check out this press release issued by the IRS at: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=219731,00.html Here is what the IRS said: IRS To Honor Medical Resident FICA Refund Claims IR-2010-25, March 2, 2010 WASHINGTON — The...
Views: 698   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 2, 2010 8:25pm
by eric
s
Sandra
University of MAryland
Does anyone know if University of MAryland filed a lawsuit on behalf of residents?
Views: 451   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 23, 2010 5:28pm
by Sandra
Equal Treatment for Residents
I am currently a resident in year 6 out of 7. I am also the chair of the Resident Council at our institution. We have been following the medical resident FICA issue closely. At the University of Oklahoma residents are subjected to FICA withholding just as every ot...
Views: 658   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 28, 2009 10:29am
by Ryan R. M.D.
Good News and Bad News from US vs Detroit Medical Center
Check out: http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions.pdf/09a0072p-06.pdf The bad news is that the Appeals Court agreed with the lower court that the medical residents from Detroit Medical Center were not exempt from FICA taxes. The good news is that the appeals cou...
Views: 784   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 5, 2009 3:01pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
a
AK
Should I Join Class Action?
My institution recently sent me a letter asking for me to consent to allow them to file a claim for potential FICA tax refund. I was a resident/fellow between 2002-2009. Does anyone know what I lose by signing the consent form? Why would my institution do this for...
Views: 743   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 21, 2009 3:37pm
by Andrew Schwartz ...
r
Roger
Trend Towards Treating Medical Resident As Students
I saw this posting on a website and thought this was interesting. I don't know if this letter is suggesting a trend toward acknowledging the fact that we all know that medical residents are students and should be treated as such for tax purposes. Highlights from...
Views: 720   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 21, 2009 3:35pm
by Roger