Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Tax Deductions
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Deducting malpractice insurance tail coverage with W-2 and 1099 income

Hi,

I left my previous position in April 2019 and had to pay for my own malpractice tail coverage. Most of my income is W-2 from medical practice, although I was a shareholder at the time. I also have some limited 1099 income from a side gig which did require that I was a physician with hospital privileges, which would require malpractice insurance as well.

I have figure out that the unreimbursed employee expenses expenses deduction has gone away. Can I reasonably deduct the malpractice tail against my side gig income?

Thanks

Zip Code: 97301