Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Tax Deductions
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Business deduction for lodging for essential hospital personnel

I live 75 miles from the hospital and outpatient clinics where I work. Due to the severe winter I have been staying at a nearby hotel on occasion in order to be at work. I have been told that I am considered an essential employee and must be there for scheduled procedures. Would any or all of these costs be deductible as business expenses??

Zip Code: 19522

Re: Business deduction for lodging for essential hospital personnel

I would say that this definitely qualifies as an "ordinary and necessary" business expense and I would recommend that you write off those lodging costs against your Locums income on the Schedule C if you are paid as an independent contractor. You might also consider taking a deduction for meals and incidentals based on the allowable Per Diem rates for the days that you weren't able to drive home due to snow. The federal government maintains per-diem rates for all the metropolitan areas within the Continental US at www.gsa.gov.

Zip Code: 01801

Re: Business deduction for lodging for essential hospital personnel

Thanks for your response . I will definitely pursue for tax purposes.

Zip Code: 19522