Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Tax Deductions
Start a New Topic 
View Entire Thread
Re: Malpractice tail coverage

You would definitely get a bigger bang for your buck by claiming the amount paid for your malpractice insurance tail as a deduction on your Schedule C instead of as a Miscellaneous Itemized Deduction on the Schedule A. Remember, while professional expenses claimed on the Schdule C are fully deductible, expenses claimed as a Miscellaneous Itemized Deduction are only deductible to the extent they exceed 2% of your income, and then are capped if you are subject to the Alt Min tax.

You have two dynamics in place. Since the tail applies to the income you earned as an employee, it seems like it should be claimed as a Miscellaneous Itemixed Deduction. However, while you are paying the premium, you have no W-2 income, but only independent contractor income. That seems to suggest you might be able to claim this expense on your Schedule C.

So which way should you go with this deduction? It depends on a number of variables, including how aggressive or conservative you want to be with your taxes.

Zip Code: 01801