Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Tax Deductions
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Deduction question

Folks,

Incredibly useful site. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Quick question. I have had several trees fall on my property this winter, several times interrupting critical services to my house (electricity, internet cable). I am required to have 24 hour coverage due to the fact that I am a hospital based radiologist and am required to look at images from home several evenings per week.

If I were to have my service converted to underground service as a requirement of having 24 hour access to images, would the cost of converting to this service be considered an allowed deductible expense? I do not wish to cut any more trees down, although the lines running across my property are definitely at danger of being severed again. NStar is not much help, here.

Not having internet/computer access to the hospital is not an option for me, for the obvious (life threatening) reasons.

Thanks in advance.

TT

Zip Code: 02115