Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Tax Deductions
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Deductions for Educational Travel

I practice in Kentucky, and I am planning to travel to Jeruselem for a medical confernece in November. It is a joint meeting with doctors from the US, Western Europe,and Israel.

Can this trip be dedducted as "educational travel" even if ACCME Continuing Education Credit is not awarded.

I guess the question is..... Can a professional development symposium that isnt educationally accredited still be deductable.

Thanks,

Nick

Zip Code: 40508

Re: Deductions for Educational Travel

Hi,

If you can demoonstrate a business purpose to the trip, you should be able to deduct your travel expenses even if you don't get a certificate for attending CE course. The threshold to deduct foreign travel, however, is pretty high. Check out IRS Publication 463 on Travel Expenses to help determine if the cost of your trip can be deducted. This publication is available at http://www.irs.gov/publications/p463.

Zip Code: 01801