Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Tax Deductions
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tax deduction for travel and living expenses for temporary job

Hi,

I am completing my medical residency in June in FL and then will be doing a 12 month fellowship in MO to further my training in my specialty as a condition for my employment back in FL with the same hospital where I completed my residency. I own a home in FL and my wife and kids will stay in FL while I am away for the 1 year in MO where I will need to duplicate all of my living expenses and pay for rent for the year. My salary for the year in MO will come from the hospital in MO. I will also occasionally fly back to FL on my days off to see my family. Can I deduct my rent, living expenses, and travel while I am training in CA? Is my fellowship training considered a temporary job assignment (it will be exactly 1 year long)?

Re: Tax deduction for travel and living expenses for temporary job

Hi,

Based on the facts outline in your post, it seems to me that you would definitely qualify to claim your travel and living expenses for the 12 months in MO as a temporary job assignment.

Zip Code: 01801