Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Tax Deductions
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Legal fee deduction?

Hi, I just had a quick question: I recently changed jobs and I had an attorney review my new contract prior to signing it. Is her fee deductible as a job search expense or in some other way? Thank you.

Re: Legal fee deduction?

Yes, assuming you will be paid as an employee, the legal fees you paid would be deductible as a miscellaneous itemized deduction.

The problem is that your total miscellaneous itemized deductions are only deductible to the extent they exceed 2% of your income. So if you earn $100k during the year, the first $2k of these type deductions wouldn't save you any taxes.

PLus, if you are hit by the Alternative Minumum Tax, then your Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions won't end up saving you any taxes.

Zip Code: 01801

Thank you for answering my question. You stated that "assuming you will be paid as an employee, the legal fees you paid would be deductible". The position that I obtained was that of an independent contractor, not as an employee. How does that affect things?

That's a huge difference. In this case, I would suggest that you would deduct these legal fees directly against your independent contractor ncome on a Schedule C.

Zip Code: 01801