Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

IRAs and Roth IRAs
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: IRA to Roth IRA conversion

thanks for the reply. must I do both this year? Won't I be able to repeat the same process in 2012 for 2011, 2013 for 2012 etc?

Zip Code: 18024

Until they change the rules, it's my understanding that you should be able to contribute $5k to an IRA each year, and then immediately convert that money to a Roth IRA. So even though your income is too high to contribute to a Roth each year, you can essentially contribute to a Roth each year by doing this two-step.

Zip Code: 01801

Does this mean that regardless of our income, we can convert our nondeductible IRAs to ROTHs from now on??

Yes, it's my understanding that until the rules change, you can contribute to a traditional IRA each year (as long as you have sufficient earned income), and then can immediately convert that account to a Roth IRA. There is no longer an income limitation preventing taxpayers with AGI greater than $100k from converting their IRAs to a Roth IRA.

This strategy is not as tax efficient for people who have other IRA accounts. So be careful before rolling a 401k and 403b account held at a previous employer into an IRA. Once you do that, you'll be taxed on the bulk of the money that you convert from your IRAs starting that year.

Zip Code: 01801