Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

IRAs and Roth IRAs
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Can I make my own SEP IRA?

That's great you're trying to put away as much as possible for your retirement.

Unfortunately, if you don't have access to a retirement plan at work, maxing out your IRA is the only other pre-tax retirement savings opportunity available to you if you have no self-employment income.

Why not take the money you were going to use for this retirement savings, and invest within a taxable account, pay down some debts, or (dare I say) invest in a low-cost variable annuity available through Vanguard or Fidelity. With these annuities, you put in after-tax money, but the money grows tax-deferred, and will be available to supplement your retirement income when you retire.

Keep saving, since chances are good your income will be going down while your taxes will go up.

Zip Code: 01801

Another option would be a purchase cash value life insurance policy.

While you are single, at some point, you may have a family and will "need" the coverage.

Using life insurance can allow you to lock into lower premiums based on your age today, provide additional disability protection, asset protection (depending upon your state) as well as give you income tax-free access to monies in the future when your tax bracket may even be higher than it is now.

You don't even have to wait until age 59.5 to avoid a penalty for early withdrawal.

Zip Code: 11797

Thank you again for your thoughts.
You suggest good alternatives.

One more question before I can put this SEP thing to rest. I was also advised that I could possibly set up a SEP under a protype SEP or individual SEP (as opposed to using the standard 5305 form). I tried looking into this but I cant find anything official about whether or not I would qualify for such a thing. Is this possible with my situation?

Again, i'm was an employee for 8 months, and a partner for 4 months, but not eligible for the partnerships profit sharing plan.

Zip Code: 02115