Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

IRAs and Roth IRAs
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Convert 403b to a Roth IRA

Hi Andrew,

I had a question for you:

I currently have about $80,000 in 403b funds in fidelity. Should I roll this over into an IRA so that I can convert this to a Roth IRA in 2010 when there is no income limit? I suppose I will have to pay taxes on the money now.

Is this plan possible and is it a good idea?

Re: Convert 403b to a Roth IRA

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to take $80k out of your 403b to roll into a Roth IRA in 2010. Remember, you'll pay taxes equal to 38% of the rollover, or about $30k.

I think you'll be better off keeping the money growing tax-deferred within your 403B.

I do think it's a good idea to make non-deductible IRA contributions, and then convert IRA to a Roth. You won't owe much in taxes with this strategy, and you'll end up with money in these tax-free Roth accounts.

Please keep in mind that this is only my opinion on this issue. You should read what a lot of tax and financial professionals have to say about converting pre-tax retirement money to a Roth, and then try to make your most educated decision.

What are other visitors to this Forum going to do in 2010?

Zip Code: 01801