PURI - Tandoori clay ovens

redefining BBQ cooking

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
INaan Bread Masterclass

I'd Love a Naan Bread Masterclass

We have tried several different recipes for Naan Bread and although they are good not quite Good Indian Restaurant Standard. Would anyone put on a Masterclass for me (and others ?) I would pay a fee

Karen

Re: INaan Bread Masterclass

Have you tried naan bread recipe from our distributor in Australia?

http://www.tandoorliving.com.au/Tandoori-cuisine-recipe-indian-curry.html

Hello,

Did you get anywhere with this?

I was having a similar issue so asked the owner of my local curry house. He was well excited when I told him I had a garden tandoor and gave me a couple of hints.

The main issue for me was I couldn't get the naan stretchy - they tasted good but were quite crisp. The recipe I was using was from the book I got with my tandoor and included yoghurt, baking powder, yeast etc. The guy I spoke to said to cut all that out - just use strong flour, egg, a wee drop milk and water and season. He said they make the dough the day before and leave it in the fridge for the night. I've tried it once and it was the best result I've had.

Roll on summer!!

Hi,
Like our facebook page and get access to all the tried n tested recipes. 2 weeks ago, we posted naan bread recipe. Give it a go and keep an eye for more recipes that we will be publishing every week.

Don't do Facebook I'm afraid.

Here you go then:

Your Favourite Naan bread:

In the last 3 years, we must have tried at least 10 different naan bread recipes, and we are here today to give you the best we have tried so far.... There are many ingredients that goes on in making a perfect naan bread, of course you can add or remove some ingredients according to your taste. But for this time, try making it as is so that you know what to change for next time.

Ingredients:
Fine white semolina - 350 gms
White flour - 400 gms
Yeast - 1 1/4 tea spoon
Baking powder - 1 1/4 tea spoon
Egg - 1 (beat the egg)
Salt - 1/2 tea spoon OR according to taste
Olive oil - 3 table spoon

Mix above ingredients in a kneading bowl, add 200 ml water and start kneading. Keep on adding more water and keep kneading until the dough is smooth and pliable. Once done, you may want to cover the dough with a damp cloth. Leave it to rise for at least 2-3 hours in a warm place. In UK, we generally keep the dough in airing cupboard. You don't have to damp the cloth once it's dry.
2-3 hours in warm place should be sufficient for dough to have risen to almost double it's original size. Give it another knead and leave it for another 30 mins or so.. Your dough is now ready. There will be fair amount of elasticity in your dough which is perfect for the next step that we are about to explain.

Make equal balls from the dough to the size of just a little larger than a golf ball. Flatten each with a rolling pin and place it on the cushion (comes free with PURI Tandoors), sprinkle little water on the side facing up and pull it from top to give it a naan bread shape (you know what I mean).

Slap it on the hot tandoor wall and close the lid. In our SS2 model, you can cook up to 6 naan breads in one go. SS1 / MS1 can take up to 4. Open the top lid to check after a minute. Your naan bread is ready when you see that it has risen a bit and seem cooked with a light brown bubbles. Take the naan bread out with naan bread rods and apply butter (according to taste)

That's it. Good luck and come back next week for another mouth watering recipe only to be cooked in PURI Tandoors. And yes, don't forget to like us. We like you :) www.TheTandoorClayOven.co.uk

I have also struggled to make restaurant quality naans but I am improving. As soon as the weather warms up I am trying this recipe from youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E34u6urWoZc

My local restaurant has told me they use self raising flour, sugar, egg, baking powder and milk and their naans taste great, I also believe the tandoor has to be very hot. Let me know if anyone has tried self raising flour.

Kenny,
Do you allow the dough to rise before placing it in the fridge for the night? Do you have a more detailed recipe?