3 Background.com - Message Board

START YOUR ENGINES - Feel free to post a message.

3 Background.com - Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cars Used

Not trying to be negative, but the cars used ,espesially in the dirt track scenes, were very inaccurate.

I realize that the expense of building 100 percent accurate 1960's Late Model Sportsman cars would be prohibitive, but some small changes would have made them look a lot more like what they were representing.

Most glaring was the cars having chicken wire screens instead of windshields.I personally "grew up" watching the races at Concord and Metrolina in the 70's, and I have yearbooks from Concord back in 1966,1967, and 1968.Chicken wire instead of glass or plastic windshields did not show up at Metrolina or Concord until the very late 70's/early80's when dirt track cars started looking like flying doorstops .

Also, Dale never won a race in the Pink K-2 car,( I know, I was there).

I am an avid scale model builder of Late model sportsman cars , both modern and "vintage" era. Since the movie came out, a lot of interest acround the country has sprung up amongst model car bulders who want to build Ralph and Dale Earnhardt dirt cars, like seen in the movie.
Those of us in the Carolinas who were there and have reference material have been answering a lot of questions for those around the country regarding the correct look and construction of those cars.