The manxathletics.com forum

Welcome to the manxathletics.com forum.  Please share information and your views on the sport in the Isle of Man with others. 

The forum has been operating in its present form since April 2004 and I particularly welcome comments from new contributors, whether you live on or off the Isle of Man, if you have an interest in Manx athletics.

Many people have used the forum to give thanks to the officials or their own supporters when they have enjoyed an event. Contrustive criticism is always welcome as an additional means of communication, although it is not intended to replace formal communication between clubs and other bodies and their members.

If you are unable to find information about an event on any of the Manx websites, then the forum is the best place to ask for help from other people. Whilst you can email me at murray@manxathletics.com  and I will do my best to point you in the right direction, the people who have the answer to your question are likely to visit the forum so it is better that you ask it here. manxathletics.com is an independent site and I do not hold office within any of the five Manx clubs.

There are a few rules. Firstly, you should always use your real name as, apart from making people accountable for what they say, one of the objectives of the website is to make the sport friendly and appealing so please do not hide behind a nickname (anonymous entries will be deleted). Secondly, (it should go without saying) you must not insult or offend anyone. Thirdly, pesistent abuse of rules 1 and 2 will result in the forum being withdrawn.

Thanks for being sensible and I hope you continue to enjoy the forum and the sport.

Murray Lambden

Forum: The manxathletics.com forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Reflecting on 100 Miles

A week later and as I reflect on the 100 mile walk I think about what was involved in staging such a landmark event on the Isle of Man.

Tribute has quite rightly been paid to the organisers. They had the courage to stand up and say “we can do this” and they followed that with endless hours of hard work to ensure that they delivered on their commitment. The event was, unquestionably, a success and arguably set a benchmark for such events anywhere in the future.

An enforced route march 131 times around the NSC provides the opportunity to contemplate many things.

In my opinion the NSC is a first class facility. It looks good, it is well situated, it works and it is a very pleasant place to walk round in circles – as seems to be the lot of aspiring centurions.

Many visiting athletes confirmed my view that we are very lucky to have such a facility on the Island. If you then add the people ranging from highly accomplished names in athletics, through officials, water and food station helpers, families, friends, general supporters and of course, the competitors themselves, you have a truly formidable combination.

That formula came together last weekend to transform the NSC into an international venue for an international event. Even our politicians turned out and stayed out and came back in the morning.

The Isle of Man did itself proud and placed itself firmly on the map as a top class venue for hosting such events. Many people will have left the Island last week with a very positive impression of what Manx athletics can deliver.

The overwhelming impression left on me was the extent to which the whole community of people who chose to become involved in the event came together to produce such an incredible atmosphere.

Every single one of them, whether they stayed 10 minutes or 24 hours (or worked on the project for many months) made a valuable contribution to the success of the event.

It was very humbling to think how the efforts of so many people over such a long time had been brought together both to stage and to support the event.

I would like to pay tribute to the organisers and to everyone who in any way supported the event. Thank you.

Email  
Re: Reflecting on 100 Miles - by Maureen Cox - Aug 28, 2006 3:54pm
Re: Reflecting on 100 Miles - by Martijn Biesmans - Aug 31, 2006 3:55pm
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Email Forms   Free Guestbooks