The Navigator Stove Forum

Forum: The Navigator Stove Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Little Cod vs Jotul

I am deciding between a Little Cad and the smallest Jotul for a small (8 x 18 ft) cabin. I can use propane for cooking but would like the wood stove to be my primary heat source. The cabin will be well insulated but it can get to -15C for a week or two in a row here. Some days down to -25C.

My concerns are
Little Cod - firebox not large enough to stay warm thru the night
Jotul - overheating

Any one have any experience?

Email  
Re: Little Cod vs Jotul

Hi,

It really comes down to how well sealed and insulated your space is. I can give you two real-life examples to consider:

First I have a new, very well insulated (14" of Roxul bats in the walls, 24" in the ceiling) workshop that is heated in winter quite well by a small daily fire in about a 30,000BTU stove. This is quite a small wood stove, but it heats the 20'x35'space quite well for the day using only 3 or logs. The modern insulation and sealing makes all the difference.

In contrast, my very old and non-insulated double brick house is heated by a Jotul 'Big Bear' - a much larger woodstove - and it can really only keep things nice down to about -5 outside. Colder than that and i have to turn on the furnace. At 0 degrees outside i will burn 16-20 pieces of wood in my house, vs. the 3-4 in my workshop.

Scott

Email  
Re: Little Cod vs Jotul

I had a jotul602 in an 8 x 12 cabin in West Virginia, Winter highs often around 15 - 20 f . The only way to avoid overheating was to leave a window open and run a smoldering fire, meaning lot of creosote in chimney, necessary to clean chimney regularly, and not so good for environment. Now we have 2 sardines in 10 x 12 cabins here in northern california where the climate is pretty mild, lows around 40 in winter. Not really comparable to your situation.

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Email Forms   Free Web Tools   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com