CHICtribute.com Forum

Here you can discuss articles, records or other things CHIC related. You can place an ad for record/videoclip trade or other things CHIC related. Or post a question you always wanted to know about CHIC or things related.

FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chic in Amsterdam September 3, 2009

I saw Chic last night at the Paradiso in Amsterdam, the second time I’d seen them there. The first time was 4 years ago, a historic gig that was captured for dvd. I was really looking forward to seeing them again, especially since I had heard they would be performing some songs they hadn’t done before including “Spacer”, one of my all-time favourite Chic produced songs.

I was anxious to see how the band would be with the various line-up changes that happened this year. Well… even though the musicians were all great and the songs remain classics, I felt disappointed afterwards. I went with a friend who had never seen them before and he remarked that it was just like watching a very good cover band perform Chic songs. And I have to agree, there is no link with the Chic people know and love anymore. Although I will always be a fan of the original Chic ladies Norma Jean, Alfa and Luci, the fact that Sylver recorded one album with Chic and was a band member for a long time gave her some kind of legitimacy as the lead singer of Chic. And in 2004 Fonzi Thornton was there in Amsterdam, another original member of the Chic family. He was missed, as was Gerardo Veldez. There was no percussionist to replace him.

Now it was truly “the Nile Rodgers band”. I have to disagree with Nile’s remarks that Chic is an anonymous band and that it’s all about the sound and it doesn’t really matter who sings or plays in it. After the show I heard several people say they were disappointed with the fact that the original singers and musicians weren’t on stage and that it was just Nile (I’m sure they never realized that both Bernard and Tony have passed away L ). Nile never once mentioned Bernard or Tony by the way.

New additions to the set were Spacer, Like A Virgin, Let’s Dance, Soup For One/Lady and Chic Cheer (the original version). I missed “At last I Am Free” not being played, a change of pace would have been welcome.

So all in all, it was a good show, the crowd were on their feet and dancing, but it just wasn’t Chic!

Re: Chic in Amsterdam September 3, 2009

I was there yesterday as well in Amsterdam Paradiso. I was also curious to know how our new lead lady singers sing. They were great, especially seen that it's their first time. Both have specific songs in which their voice come out at their best (e.g. 'Material Girl' performed by Melissa was great). I personnaly regret that nothing is mentioned why the previous girls had to leave, just so Richard and Ricardo. All in all, a very good concert!