CHICtribute.com Forum

Here you can discuss articles, records or other things CHIC related. You can place an ad for record/videoclip trade or other things CHIC related. Or post a question you always wanted to know about CHIC or things related.

FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BBC DOCUMENTARY FEAT. "DELUXE EDITION STYLE" CHIC CLASSICS !!!

DUDES!

Check this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/musicclub/recordproducers.shtml

BBC radio 2 are featuring as part of their "Record Producers" our Nile Rodgers. Here's the full text from the link anyway:-

THE RECORD PRODUCERS
Chic songwriter, guitarist and arranger Nile Rodgers is the subject of this latest edition in the occasional series of ‘The Record Producers’, where Richard Allinson and Steve Levine look at the work of individuals whose recordings have had a lasting impact on popular music history.

Each edition in the series has taken a different approach not only to record production, but also in the programme style for each subject, and this latest episode is no exception. Whilst Nile discusses his production work for David Bowie, Carly Simon, Diana Ross, Madonna and others, Richard Allinson and Steve Levine dissect two quintessential Chic songs through the exclusive access Nile has granted to the original multitrack recordings. With ‘Le Freak’, they concentrate on how to produce the perfect pop/dance hit, whilst demonstrating with ‘Good Times’ how relatively straightforward musical parts are layered to create one of the most influential and enduring dance records ever made.

Through state of the art digital technology, the Radio 2 audience will hear how cleverly the Chic sound was constructed, from the unique style of the guitar playing through to the simple yet effective way they recorded handclaps, and from what appears to be straightforward chords from the string section to the sophisticated counterplay of the rhythm section.

The programme also features contributions from Chic engineer Bob Clearmountain, American music expert Paul Gambaccini and (through further multitrack access) a look at how Nile created the sound of Duran Duran’s ‘Notorious’.

It's going to be broadcast January 1st 1900-2000hrs. You should be able to listen to the show via the BBC Radio Player if you miss the programme however, don't take my word for it.I am so looking forward to hearing each track dissected & how they recorded the handclaps on Le Freak. This is gonna be one hell of a documentary! YOWSAH!

MERRY XMAS, EVERYBODY!

Re: BBC DOCUMENTARY FEAT. "DELUXE EDITION STYLE" CHIC CLASSICS !!!

Wow, that was an amazing documentary!, particularly the breaking down of "Le Freak". This just confirms what talent was in the Chic Organization, pure genius! Happy New Year.

Super show!! I wish I had the tracks to play with in my music program GarageBand. It was soo wonderful to hear the breakdown on "Le Freak" and "Good Times" I had never heard that conga track on "Good Times" either, and it must have been Nile on that extra back-up track??? It sounded like him anyway... As always I wish the show was much longer so they could have analyzed more CHIC masterpieces.

Oh to get a hold of those original tracks to do some remixes...ha ha!

MAGNIFIQUE!!! What a show! I allowed myself to get so excited for this for a week-it was like waiting for a live concert! I made my youngest son sit next to me & listen to pure genius at work & be educated. After years of watching programmes where rock albums are broken down track by track, it's been way too long overdue for us Chic fans to be similarly treated. As always Nile tells a great story. I aleady knew the Diana Ross "you were flat" story but it was told so well by Nile. Especially how he describes the black fur coat left the studio.

It was great to finally hear an explanation why some tracks on "Diana", especially Upside Down & My Old Piano, seemed to have more zip compared to the Chic Mix-She simply sped up the tape to sound younger!

I urge all music fans to hear this show, not just Chic fans. Nile's pride shines through when he talks of the tracks. The engineer & presenter's obvious excitement & enthusiasm really came across too when playing back the tracks, making me even more excited. To hear them talk about how tight a band they were made me beam with pride. And I now finally know how they did those Le Freak handclaps!

And bongos on Good Times? I never knew!

I just can't stop listening to this programme. It's that good.

Agree that the show was excellent. Brought a real sense of pride to hear music industry experts basically classifying Chic as genius.

There were two things that really came out of it for me. Yes it was great to hear the break down of "Le Freak" and "Good times" but was really interesting to learn that "I'm Coming Out" was originally written for Ashford and Simpson. Given they are such talented and prolific writers themselves, I can't believe a whole album was to be written for them. The history to the track is very different to the one written on the sleeve notes to the re-released "Diana" album! It was be interesting to know the full story behind the Ashford and Simpson link up.

Also, it never occurred to me that the unique Chic vocals were partly because the ladies sang the songs in such short bursts and very tightly with no long notes.

Beginning to give up hope I'll ever hear a new Chic album, particularly the Mathis/Thornton unreleased stuff but I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway!