Lady Bankes Infant and Junior School

Former pupils log in here.......

Lady Bankes Infant and Junior School
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Re: Lady Bankes 1945- 51

Dear Pat,

I was born in 1941 in Whitby Road, Ruislip Manor and I too went to Lady Bankes (and Victoria Hall). The teachers you name are familiar to me (especially Mr. Rance who was, as I recall, fairly volatile.) I also recall a Miss Lamb as one of my teachers. Dennis Braine also stirs memories - so I imagine we must have been in a similar age group. Much of that era is a bit hazy now but I was delighted to find your recollections and will look out for any further mutual memories. The names Michael Peverill, Brian Arnold, Chris McMullen, William Seaward, Barry Hutton, David Noble, come to mind as pupils in my year. Kind Regards Tony Sidnell (now living in Cornwall)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I was at LB from 1945 to 1951 and remember quite a few teachers, but not a lot of pupils!! Miss Polden, Infant Head Teacher - we called her Poldisticks. Miss Christian - Junior Head Teacher - very fair and pretty strict - remember a painting of Scott of the Antarctic outside her office. Miss Fordie, Miss Sidebury, Mr Rance & Mr Dix.

A concert by the late Dennis Braine (french horn) - a very prestigious occasion. Country dancing in the hall and singing 'I vow to thee my country' every May. Victoria Hall - I hated the year I spent there - can remember chanting multiplication tables in a windowless and dusty smelling room.

Would love to hear from anyone who remembers me. I lived in Brixham Crescent and moved to Cornwall Road about 1950, had a younger brother called Peter and a sometimes best friend, Christina Blow.