Return to Website

Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Miami pro-am Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where to go in Summer

I've been windsurfing this winter and it's been great. However, I would like to keep sailing all year long and I still don't know where to go in Summer?
Do you guys know of any hidden spot around the east coast or west coast where there is wind all year long; like in Corpus Christie, TX?
I've heard in the Carolines, but I not sure...

Re: Where to go in Summer

Windsurfing Magazine has extensively covered the various main places to sail in the USA - south Texas is certainly one of them. As to more regional places that are good in summer, I think Charleston Harbor is overlooked and has more consistent seabreezes than Fla. but I don't have enough experience or info to swear to it. The Outer Banks of NC are a relatively popular east coast destination for windsurfing in the early summer. If you want to sail through the Florida summer, then a formula board or other 80-100 cm wide board, a 9 meter plus sail, and knowledge of how to check wind conditions online (like through iwindsurf.com) are the solution. With a subscription, iwindsurf will even email you an alert if the wind exceeds a set threshold of your choosing.

Hey man, good answer.
So if I want to get started with a realy reasonable-price FW gear, where should I go? I would like to start with second hand gear. I like the SB 161. Is there a good FL store where they sale FW gear?

Thanks again.

We might have a swap meet at RB causeway, that would be the place for used gear

Hey Sergio,

Do you know when will this event happen?
Is it at Hobie? or V. Key? or old Windsurfers Beach?

thx

As to getting formula gear through a dealer, particularly used gear, I suggest you work with someone who has personal knowledge about it. Here are a few dealers who know formula (there are others but here's 4 to start):

Movie Star a/k/a Alex Morales, who runs this site and has his own windsurf shop

Steve Gottlieb, Sandy Point Progressive Sports, South Daytona

Britt Viehman, North Beach Windsurfing, St. Pete

Rick Randall, Maui Malone's, south Fla.

You will need a sail with the mast recommended by the sail designer to fit it (probably around 10 meters to start), a carbon boom to fit it (don't try to do aluminum - it will be like a noodle and harder to sail), and 1 fin. In terms of designs and so forth, the fin is probably the most important, and a good one is difficult to find used. Ifju fins, made locally in Fla., are the best deal going right now and are used by many top pros as well as weekend warriors. For a new formula sailor in most conditions, a standard (soft flex) 70 cm fin is fine.

If you're in Miami, go to the next regatta that is advertised on this site in April and ask questions of the racers - they will be more than happy to give advice as to what works and may know folks with gear for sale. There's also a regatta at Kelly Park, Merritt Island, on the weekend of April 17.

I have a buddy looking to sell all of his formula equipment. He has a starboard and NP race sails. His email address is patrickrynne@gmail.com. Give him a buzz and see if you can work something out. Good luck!

PS. for a secret summer wind spot, check out Tybee Island, GA. I trained there for over 200 days straight before the 1996 summer Olympic games for windsurfing. They have one of the best thermal winds available. The sailing is best in the sound and 15-17 knots on most days is pretty common.

Ovidio(Sailboards Miami) is in change of swap, I will ask him this weekend about it or you can email him yourself. Getting whole used kit could be a good deal,
I would check ASM's connection.

FYI: for general windsurfing and formula related topics in Miami you can check new blog I and few other locals created.
www.miamiwindsurfer.blogspot.com