Return to Website

Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Miami pro-am Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
warp F 2008

In North Warp's new release it's written about more softness of the sail.First test published in French magazine PM speaks about a more forgiving sail but with a bit less low end.
I wonder what's your feedback for both FW and Slalom sizes.

Thank you

Re: warp F 2008

We will probably put out some results in the near future. There is a new interview with Jimmy Diaz that will be posted soon.

I tried the 11.8 in some good breeze, 9 - 14, and it feels really good. The power upwind is really amazing, definitely some differences to last years in the shape it seems. It felt a bit softer I would say, but the low end is really good if you ask me. We will have to do more testing though, as the sails are brand new, not broken in, and will need to have the tuning played around with before the final verdict is in. But you will be hearing the real deal right here at www.miamiwindsurfing.com that is for sure! But if you order some, I am sure you won't be disappointed! My Maui Sails TR's are really hot too though!

Thank you Rick,it's always interesting hearing competitor's feedback.I've used '07 warp's 11,9 and 11 and had a great season (even withi my 161) but found the 11,9 a bit stiff to pump up in light wind.The sails were bullets upwind,easy to hold in the wind and reliable with masts but,with my great surprise,just a bit slower downwind compared to Pryde's.Oh well,nothing transcendent,but I felt that.
First slalom sizes feedbacks talk about an increased softness and similar performance to '07 but a friend of mine,after just 2 sailing,adviced me about a little lost in low end.He said he wanted some more time before say it definitely.In my experience 11,9 was great when more than constant 8/9 kt till 15/17 kt but much more less when gusty 5/8 kt.Please note that I used r19 s-- on 161 so a very severe fin for legs.I hoped they've increased performance in the lower part of wind range.
When it comes to TR-4 they're my second choice for new season and I'm willing to heard first comments about fw sizes (as I'm pretty sure that slalom one works best!).Pharaphs never tested its softness and smoothness (just the opposite warp's are) but I think they're better for lighter people.Just scared they'r as Fanatic Falcon's (great boards that can be loved or heated,you know what I mean?).From what I hear it should have a big range.
I will be more than happy if you,Rick,want advice me about your TR experience (better if any about TR-4).

Thank you

Hi Mark,

I have TR-3 in the formula sizing. And have a 11,10 coming in the TR4 in a month or so. I will give a report when I get my hands on them comparing them to the TR-3. The TR-3s are hot as Rick says. Definitly fast.

I can only say that the TR 3 's are really great sails. They do have a "softer" feel than the North sails. The low end is very good. Top end speed is fantastic, they have a very powerful feel compared to the Norths. One really good thing about them is that you don't need a downhaul tool, they can be downhauled by hand no problem. Of course, a tool makes it easier. I do not have the TR 4 yet, may be a while before I change over. My understanding is that the main differences from 3 - 4 are going to be in the details. Mostly small things, which can be seen in the photos on the MS website, with better reinforcements/chafe protection, and subtle shape changes to clean things up.

The slalom sizes are really awesome sails! I have 7, 6.3 and 5.5 and they are incredible. I have 12 and 11 in Formula sails, and I will definitely be getting a 10 TR 4 in short order. I am about 90 - 92 kg for reference.

Fin wise on my F2 I have a r 19 s -- (which is ok in under 10 knots, but it is not soft), a Hurricane Fr5 b extra soft in almost all other conditions ( next best fin to a Kashy, reccomended to me by Dave Kashy in fact), and a Tectonics 66 which I use if it is extremely windy.

Thank you Rick.
When it comes to rig tool I have no problem as I'm used to use it so,probably,I would continue this practice.Also I guess that less luff TR-4 tension will help much more to preserve masts damages so still great.
Talking about power/pull comparison of FW TR-3's (as you have it) and '07/'08 Warp's what did you've found out?
I agree with you that it doesn't mixunderstand the stiff feeling of warp's with power (as I've said earlier my 11,9 wasn't so powerfull but was absolutely stiff to pump in the wind -also because of r19 +8 s-- -).
Because of that I'm very interested in TR's 12 and new 11,8 warp low end ability.
I used to hold my 11 in 25 knt so don't know if gping smaller than it.Did you feel the need of it with TR ?
what F2 are you sailing right now ?
If you have some more news on new model I'll be happy to hear...

Thank you

P.S. In your opinion what are strong and weak points of both warp's and tr's ? Very interesting to listen though..

I am on the 07 F2. I have sailed the new one and am looking forward to getting one as soon as I can!

The feeling is really the difference between the North and the Maui Sails, not the performance neccessarily. And it is a little apples to ranges comparison, as we are talking 08 North vs 07 MS. I think the feel of the 08 Warp has moved closer to the feel of the TR, but just a bit. It is so early in the testing phase for us in Miami on the Warps, it is hard to say for sure.

My gut feeling with the little time I had on the 11.8 was that the softer feeling was nice and that the sail carried through the lulls better than last years 11.9. It also felt lighter, not sure if there is a real weight difference or not, as I thought last years sails felt very heavy. I have not seen too many of the North masts breaking, so not sure wether the extreme downhaul tension is a problem there. The new warp appears to have a straighter luff curve in the lower section of the sail than before so maybe this will reduce some of the tension as well.....

It is cranking windy here in South Florida, and will be great all weekend. We will be testing Formula both Saturday and Sunday in 15 - 20 for sure, so should get in more time on the 11.8 and also 11. Slalom tommorow though as it will be 20 +, and I don't think any of the smaller size Warps will be hitting the water, but who knows. My 7.0/6.3 TR 3's will be out there though, and they are really fast. I use them currently with a 80 liter Richard Greene custom and Goldwing slalom fins. Top recorded speed for me on that board with a 6.6 TR 2 so far was 36.3. My GPS died the day last fall that it was gusting to 40 and I was on a 5.5 TR3 at a secret spot with perfect flat water, I was bummed! Look for more info next week.

still thank you Rick.
I still own my faithfull 161 but M.W.T. feedback is very attractive so I'm tempted to go for it.
Its new Starboard-like feeling mixed with some typical F2 character sounds cool!
In my experience FW F2's has always been blistering fast but,sometimes,difficult to control.It suffered slow starts and kept angle only at moderate speed.
We use to think that they deliver the best in 13-18 kns making everything great.When lighter or stronger things are better for Starboard.
I think it's right to say also that the 2 brands require different ways of sailing and different styles and that not everybody like both.
This is my main fear (coming from Starboard).
Sailing new F2 would be perfect for my Warp's as it was done just with them but I look forward for improve performance as good as I can so hope to make the right choice with the sail as well.
There's a lot of talk about '08 warp's and their similarity with '07 model.Rumors say that there's no substantial difference but,you know,just rumors...
I've broken the lowest part of a mast base because of North mast extention short conjuction.A shorther luff lenght or a longer mast would help this.
When it comes to slalom size new 6,8 is rated as a bit slow at low end but softer as well.
Enjoy the week end and let us know.

Thank you

Hi,
"My gut feeling with the little time I had on the 11.8 was that the softer feeling was nice"

What does it mean "softer"?
From Neutron experience I don't like "soft feeling" and draft moving aft in every gust. What kind of softness is on W2008?

Hmmm the softness that I am describing is not so much draft moving around as it is the sail breathing more, not feeling dead when pumping, having a sensation of power when accelerating. the more rigid feeling sails feel heavy, do not have a feeling of low end power pulling you, do not give you any feedback when sailing. some like one or the other, others just notice the difference between the two. If you sail 2 sails back to back, one from one style and one from the other, you immediately know the difference.

It is a very noticable difference in feeling of wave sails designed for "on shore", vs those designed for "down the line" sailing. On shore sails the power is always on with more power on the back hand, and down the line sails you can turn the power off, they feel more lively and.....soft.

I agree that is all about tastes.
This season I've sailed both Pryde and North and liked both!! But they're still different from MS.If I have to say North is stiffer just in the way Rick has explained,Pryde is in between and MS is the most soft.It doesn't hurt power but the way it's released.
Plus note that MS and Pryde deliver best performance with Starboard-like boards while North fits best with F2 and Fanatic.It's all up to draft position.

Hallo guys,
I've just seen the '08 warp web page video.Look fine and,from what is possible understand,the sail show a soft touch,less locked ride.I would guess it's a 12,3 but has seen someone with a'07 f2 so,maybe that one is the new 11,8...
Now,compared to my '07 11,9,what are the differences with 11,8 and 12,3 ?
I'm still deciding if change the 11 (as you say it's pretty similar) but need to know more for bigger sizes.Any news?
In North website no sail specs.Any idea about 11,8 and 12,3 ones?
Thank you

Hi Mark,

I would suggest you change both sails as the difference seems to be bigger than everybody thinks.

We are still trying to find the sweet spot on the sail. We will do more testing today, but so far the 11 seems to be incredible fast...we have a few in the water and a race on the weekend, and probably we will be able to tell you more after the weekend. So far the 11 and 11.8 look very solid with a feeling that seems that push you upwind really well. The sail again is extremely comfortable and easy to sail. Re the downhaul, we are going back and forth. I like it with more downhaul (as the setting indicates) but other guys (heavier) like it with less downhaul and the sail still outperforms anything I have seen.

After the weekend, we will post more results. Jimmy Diaz is here today and for the weekend and we will be able to TEST A LOT and tell u more.

I personally do not like other brands for seveeral reasons.....but NORTH RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care,

Ed

First I'd like thank you Ed for your reply.
Concerning the 11 I can say that also the '07 model is a bullet upwind but problem (compared to RSR) was downwind.Not the fastest out there.So,I guess,work should have be done in that direction.
I think that the softer feeling makes the bigger sizes (as 12,3) lovable for light weight too.That's could be the reason people is loving it.
Would you please tell me if '08 model is a tipycal North (that push down the board nose) or if new model has a bit more back hand to free up the board?
can't wait to read your new report tonight.Week end is so far!!

thank you

P.S. are you sailing new f2? other feedbacks are always interesting...

any news about new 9,0 ?

some week end has passed by right now and you,lucky guy sailing new warp's, stay too silence!!
come on let's talk about it!

Yes some more news please. Has the 08 F2 the same trim plates as the 07 model? Do you use them in light air ?

On the the 07 model I always used them under 12 knot as they made it faster to get planing after a tack or gybe.

I cant see if you use them or not on the movies.

When using the north / F2 combo, how do you place the mast foot ? We foud it to be best as far back as possible on the 07 models for all sail sizes.

Great to see all your reports, the only forum on the net for F2 and North.

now you should have some more news and feedback about new warp fw.
Would you like to report that here?

Anyone used the 2008 9.9 and can report on its performance vs the 2007?

so what? No more Fw sailing??

yes formula is moving foward more than ever, we just did an small brake afte so many races. keep checking for reports , soon by Jimmy Diaz

1 2