Return to Website

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting

Welcome! This is mainly a "local" forum for American Civil War cavalry reenactors in the Pacific Northwest. It will have dates of events and trainings as well as any items of interest.

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Next mounted training at Stoneybrook Sat Feb 7

Hi folks,

Just a quick note to let you know that the next mounted training at Stoneybrook Stable is Saturday Feb 7. From now on the trainings at Stoneybrook will be the FIRST Saturday of each month, rain or shine (we have a nice big indoor arena to use).

Our make up training for the "snow day" on Jan 17 went very well. We had 5 riders from the 10th NY and 3 guests/prospective recruits who brought their horses also. We worked on obliques by 2's and 4's across the arena, which is trickier than it sounds if you want each group to arrive at the wall at the same time and not get bunched up or crowded. Charles also taught us a great warm-up exercise which I plan on using at all our trainings. From now on we are going to warm up as a group rather than individually. This is the way the Cav did it, and it also made the horses noticeably more well-behaved. All of the new horses from the previous practice also came to this one and they were all greatly improved. We got quite a few "well dones" from Charles and he doesn't hand out compliments like candy.

After the drill those of us who stayed late had a nice ride outdoors and did some trot in formation.

I hope to see you all at the next training.

Ken Morris

Re: Next mounted training at Stoneybrook Sat Feb 7

I'll be there Ken. Sorry our dismounted training coincided with the snow/ice day make up for mounted training. It was hard to be in two places at one time!

Capt. Ahearn

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi folks,

Just a quick note to let you know that the next mounted training at Stoneybrook Stable is Saturday Feb 7. From now on the trainings at Stoneybrook will be the FIRST Saturday of each month, rain or shine (we have a nice big indoor arena to use).

Our make up training for the "snow day" on Jan 17 went very well. We had 5 riders from the 10th NY and 3 guests/prospective recruits who brought their horses also. We worked on obliques by 2's and 4's across the arena, which is trickier than it sounds if you want each group to arrive at the wall at the same time and not get bunched up or crowded. Charles also taught us a great warm-up exercise which I plan on using at all our trainings. From now on we are going to warm up as a group rather than individually. This is the way the Cav did it, and it also made the horses noticeably more well-behaved. All of the new horses from the previous practice also came to this one and they were all greatly improved. We got quite a few "well dones" from Charles and he doesn't hand out compliments like candy.

After the drill those of us who stayed late had a nice ride outdoors and did some trot in formation.

I hope to see you all at the next training.

Ken Morris

Re: Re: Next mounted training at Stoneybrook Sat Feb 7

Not a problem. We look forward to seeing you next time. FYI, I am going out of town for a week and will probably be "incommunicado" until next Saturday.

Ken