Return to Website

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting

Welcome! This is mainly a "local" forum for American Civil War cavalry reenactors in the Pacific Northwest. It will have dates of events and trainings as well as any items of interest.

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another school presentation - February 11th in Salem

Chemeketa College in Salem will be having their Civil War Day on February 11th. This is a worthwhile event to attend for those who can make it.

There are no stations. Civil War history is discussed in a commons hall in the main building. Lots of people pass through and love to ask intelligent questions concerning the war and items on display. This is a very easy school presentation to do, with little preparation in the way of organization. Just bring your stuff and talk about it. Cavalry will have it's own area within the group of respondents and I need cavalry to agree to do this one with me. No horses of course (it's inside) but bring clean weapons, camp equipment and any gear that might teach. If nothing else, come help me haul in my three saddles and gear and pass out flyers! Civilians are also invited to this event. Lunch is provided by the Cafeteria for free.

A map to Chemeketa's main campus is located here: Campus Map

Chemeketa's main campus is located off Lancaster Drive in Salem. Take Market east off I-5, turn left on Lancaster and go several stop lights. Turn right on Cooley Drive NE which will take you to the Information Booth (#12 on map) where you need to get a special parking pass for reenactors. Park and unload behind building #2 or in Blue Lot then move your vehicle to the Green lot and display your permit in the window. We will be set up inside Bldg #2 in a large area in the food court. Event will start at 9 AM.

Please contact me if you are available on this day.

Thanks for your interest in education,
Capt. Ahearn

Re: Another school presentation - February 11th in Salem

Capt. Ahearn:
I will plan to be there.
Rick

Cancellation of school presentation - February 11th

Unfortunately, after much work and preparation on the part of Steve Betschart and others involved in this presentation at Chemeketa College our history day has been cancelled!

Prejudicial opinion on the part of 10 - 12 students and faculty consideration for their feelings have nixed our attempt to teach history at this place. Ironic that an institution of "higher learning" is able to be bullied by a group who lacks interest in learning American history and instead runs on unfounded fears. Some comments about last years event were:

"Reenactors who put on a Confederate uniform today are doing so because they believe in the ideals of white supremacy..."

"it seemed certain that the planners and sponsors of the event were white supremacists themselves..."

"...expressed the fear they felt in their hearts when they saw reeactors in Confederate uniform on campus..."

"They felt afraid for their personal safety"

I am sad that these prejudicial attitudes exist in the educated community. They show a real need to get involved in teaching history to lower grades.

Please pass on this message to those who had planned to attend this event.

Thanks for all your efforts,
Capt. Ahearn

Re: Cancellation of school presentation - February 11th

This is really too bad. Incredible to learn of such ignorance associated with an institution of supposed open mindedness and learning. Liberal thought (which I am prejudging these people subscribe to) is against censorship, unless I guess, it is in support of "political correctness". These "students" have prejudged in exactly the same way that they would protest if the view was against them. I bet not even one of them is aware of the tribute and respect paid to the black pioneers in a ceremony at the cemetary a couple of years ago which was participated in by many Confederate reenactors. "White Supemacists?" The students don't know anything. Maybe they should go to sensitivity training.