Return to Website

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting

Welcome! This is mainly a "local" forum for American Civil War cavalry reenactors in the Pacific Northwest. It will have dates of events and trainings as well as any items of interest.

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Picket Post Event Shaping Up

Lin is correct. What we are trying to do is lead the hobby toward the type of authentic event where being a real soldier for two days is the goal. A picket post event is normally a company vs company infanry picket line with Cav support. We plan to set up in an area with water and shade and nothing modern. The cav will be cav - picketing, scouting/reconnaisance, courier, supply, trading with the enemy perhaps, etc on a standard schedule so each trooper will have down time at the outpost and in reserve as well. I can see you guys adding a tremendous flavor of authenticity to the event. heck for once we might be somewhere near the real ratio of horses to humans.

We are currently looking at Vermont infantry and NY cavalry vs Virginia infantry and cavalry.

Anyway, stay tuned for July 16-18, 2004. Plan to live out of the saddle and be in the army...and bail out the footsloggers no doubt.

All the best,
Doug Cooper
Chairman, CHAPs

Re: Picket Post Event Shaping Up

I can pretty much say for sure that Steve Pease and myself would be interested, possibly Guy Robinson too. The new guy with the Tenn Walker seems gung-ho enough to try this too. When I mentioned doing a "living out of the saddle" backcountry event to Kevin Wooster he said that he would be very interested, and probably had a couple of other guys interested as well. Hopefully he will come to another NCWC meeting soon, otherwise I will have to write him! At any rate it sounds good for a small contingent of Yankee troopers.

Ken

Re: Re: Picket Post Event Shaping Up

Depending on who shows up we can probably even out the numbers in cavalry without much of a problem. Logistics won't be too hard to manage in this area. We should be able to supply a hay drop for the horses but there is not much grazing to be had.

Just fire up the boys for the event, it should be a lot of fun and a great experience. We also have to encourage reading and educating about the campaign, anyone have any good book suggestions that might give a view as to specifics on cavalry during this period in the Shenandoah Valley? Anyone aware of letters from troops who were involved? It would help in doing 1st person tremendously to be aware of what typical experiences troopers had up to the date.

Ken, lets produce some handouts for the next cav training so the guys who don't view this site can be informed.

Capt. Ahearn