Return to Website

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting

Welcome! This is mainly a "local" forum for American Civil War cavalry reenactors in the Pacific Northwest. It will have dates of events and trainings as well as any items of interest.

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Willamette Mission Event

Captain Ahearn and others,

I am greatly looking forward to the event comming in about a week and 1/2. Due to a "sabre wound" (hehe) I was not able to fight in the last battle but am looking forward to showing ya'll how a Texan man fights. DId you know that it was said of the Texas Cavalry( and later the Texas Rangers) that we ride like an Indian, shoot like a Mexican and fight like the devil. hehehe. Seriously, I am looking forward to the event and truly wish to see you all there. Sleeping under the stars will be a nice change too. Thats something I love doing and havent done for quite some time. Going campaing style always makes it more fun and realistic to me. See you all there.

Sic Semper Tyrannis,

Trp. Jeremy Johnson

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Yep, we always fight for Virginia on Oregon soil?????

Wo......Whoooooooooooooooooooo ehy!

(Unless we decide otherwise!

Capt. Ahearn

Replying to:

HEHE,

Thank your Cpl. Sturman. You must keep in mind that I am not a virginian by birth and have only been fighting for her for the last few months as I started the war in my home state of Texas. HEHE. Did I tell you that i decided upon my impression? Well, here it is:

My Father fought in the Mexican war and saw parts of Texas and decided that it was definantly a land of opportunity. After the war he went back to Virginia and Married my mother adn moved to the Trinity River Valley in North Texas, about 80 miles out from Dallas. When the war came, an old friend of my fathers, and a virginia politician, wrote him and promised him a regiment of Virginia Infantry if he would come fight in the east. By the time he decided, in June of 1862,I had already joined the 12th Texas Cavalry but asked for a transfer to a Virginia Cavalry Regiment to be closer to my parents. Shortly after we arrived, my Grandfather, a wealthy virginia planter died and left the plantation to my father.

hehe. THanks for the info about what side we are portraying. See you there.

Sic Semper Tyrannis!/ Remeber the Alamo

Trp. Jeremy Johnson

Co. C

9th Va. Cavalry

Army of Northern Virginia

Replying to:

Trooper Johnson,

As any Virginian knows, I only fight for Old Virginia! Sic Semper Tyrannis! Anyway, does that answer your Question? Se ya at WillMiss.

Corporal Sturman

Replying to:

Captain Ahearn,

Am I correct to assume that we will be fighting for the Stars and Bars of our gloriouse Confederacy, and more importantly, our beautifull homes in Virginia. Or will we be fighting to keep our nation one and to free other men from the hands of their masters? I guess I wont be the noble virginia planters son for the dance this time. hehe.

Trp. Jeremy

Replying to:

This event, held over the 4th of July holiday is one of the best attended events in the Pacific Northwest. Plan to take part if you can.

I encourage all of you to camp LIGHT. Please leave any items you do not NEED at home. Things like lanterns, chairs, boxes, tables, and other items you could not have brought into camp on horseback are what I mean.

We campaigned at Rooster Rock last year and it was very easy to pack up! Let's get more people involved in going campaign-mode at our July event. See below for a list of items you will probably want before all the others you are used to bringing to garrison events.

Light List

Horse:

Saddle, blanket, bridle, halter, lead, surcingle, picket pin/line, feed bag, curry, brush, hoofpick, cloth, saddlebags and link strap.

Soldier:

All issued items to include uniform & brogans/boots, mess utensils, haversack, blanket, poncho, canvas (which you probably won't need but you can make a comfortable bed sack from it), weapons and cleaning supplies, a spare shirt, socks and drawers, personal items in a poke sack (would include, stuff to care for your health and cleanliness).

Hay for your horse would also be good (just don't expect to ride in with it!

I will still have the company fly available in case of heavy rain and I will set up a small tent away from the camp for storage of horse medicine, spare equipment and items I am required to have by NCWC rules. Sgt Jenkins will bring the loaner gear but if you need loaner gear, make sure you contact him prior to the event to assure you get items you need and can wear. I will bring my loaner rifles for enlisted men. Those who use them will have to clean them.

You do not need a chair, use firewood stumps to sit on. You do not need a lantern, it's bright enough to see if you aren't staring into the lanterns of others. The guard will have a flashlight for emergency purposes only.

Prior to the event we will meet on Saturday June 28th to brush out the camp and fix picketlines. 9 AM Please plan on attending with what weapons of brush destruction you might have.

See you there,

Capt. Ahearn

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Willamette Mission Event

Captain,

Yes, I agree there. But I do understand the troopers question, we are after all a regiment that suffers from Mass Multiple Personality Disorder > Vets day parades...Case in point

Anyway...Yes, on Oregon Soil. I may be from an Old Oregon family on Momma's side but on My Daddy's side, we're from Old Virginia

Oh yeah, what was I talking about again? See ya at WillMiss

Steven

Replying to:

Yep, we always fight for Virginia on Oregon soil?????

Wo......Whoooooooooooooooooooo ehy!

(Unless we decide otherwise!

Capt. Ahearn

Replying to:

HEHE,

Thank your Cpl. Sturman. You must keep in mind that I am not a virginian by birth and have only been fighting for her for the last few months as I started the war in my home state of Texas. HEHE. Did I tell you that i decided upon my impression? Well, here it is:

My Father fought in the Mexican war and saw parts of Texas and decided that it was definantly a land of opportunity. After the war he went back to Virginia and Married my mother adn moved to the Trinity River Valley in North Texas, about 80 miles out from Dallas. When the war came, an old friend of my fathers, and a virginia politician, wrote him and promised him a regiment of Virginia Infantry if he would come fight in the east. By the time he decided, in June of 1862,I had already joined the 12th Texas Cavalry but asked for a transfer to a Virginia Cavalry Regiment to be closer to my parents. Shortly after we arrived, my Grandfather, a wealthy virginia planter died and left the plantation to my father.

Trp. Jeremy Johnson

Co. C

9th Va. Cavalry

Replying to:

Trooper Johnson,

As any Virginian knows, I only fight for Old Virginia! Sic Semper Tyrannis! Anyway, does that answer your Question? Se ya at WillMiss.

Corporal Sturman

Replying to:

Captain Ahearn,

Am I correct to assume that we will be fighting for the Stars and Bars of our gloriouse Confederacy, and more importantly, our beautifull homes in Virginia. Or will we be fighting to keep our nation one and to free other men from the hands of their masters? I guess I wont be the noble virginia planters son for the dance this time. hehe.

Trp. Jeremy

Replying to:

This event, held over the 4th of July holiday is one of the best attended events in the Pacific Northwest. Plan to take part if you can.

I encourage all of you to camp LIGHT. Please leave any items you do not NEED at home. Things like lanterns, chairs, boxes, tables, and other items you could not have brought into camp on horseback are what I mean.

We campaigned at Rooster Rock last year and it was very easy to pack up! Let's get more people involved in going campaign-mode at our July event. See below for a list of items you will probably want before all the others you are used to bringing to garrison events.

Light List

Horse:

Saddle, blanket, bridle, halter, lead, surcingle, picket pin/line, feed bag, curry, brush, hoofpick, cloth, saddlebags and link strap.

Soldier:

All issued items to include uniform & brogans/boots, mess utensils, haversack, blanket, poncho, canvas (which you probably won't need but you can make a comfortable bed sack from it), weapons and cleaning supplies, a spare shirt, socks and drawers, personal items in a poke sack (would include, stuff to care for your health and cleanliness).

I will still have the company fly available in case of heavy rain and I will set up a small tent away from the camp for storage of horse medicine, spare equipment and items I am required to have by NCWC rules. Sgt Jenkins will bring the loaner gear but if you need loaner gear, make sure you contact him prior to the event to assure you get items you need and can wear. I will bring my loaner rifles for enlisted men. Those who use them will have to clean them.

You do not need a chair, use firewood stumps to sit on. You do not need a lantern, it's bright enough to see if you aren't staring into the lanterns of others. The guard will have a flashlight for emergency purposes only.

Prior to the event we will meet on Saturday June 28th to brush out the camp and fix picketlines. 9 AM Please plan on attending with what weapons of brush destruction you might have.

See you there,

Capt. Ahearn

Re: Re: Re: Re: Willamette Mission Event

Trooper Johnson...

(Quotes Atlantis here)As far as me goes...I just like to blow things up...Seriously, my impression is that of a family that came to Virginia in the Early 18th Century and has lived there since. We fought in the Revolution, the war of 1812, the Mexican American War and now this unpleasant situation.

Roughly my impression is based on my actual family. A great uncle, (not entirely sure of the relation) John Elliott Sturman was a Corporal in the 9th Va. Cavalry Co. "C". Unfortunately, I have little information about that section of my family and continue to research it.

I can say this, The Sturman family lived primarily in what is known as Mosby's Confederacy in Fairfax county and in Westmoreland county. We were planters (I believe tobacco) and had some wealth and history in Virginia. Aside from that, I have only court and census records. It would be nice if I could lay my hands on a diary or journal or something.

Anyway, sounds good...

Steven

Replying to:

HEHE,

Trp. Jeremy Johnson

Co. C

9th Va. Cavalry

Replying to:

Trooper Johnson,

Corporal Sturman

Replying to:

Captain Ahearn,

Trp. Jeremy

Replying to:

Light List

Horse:

Soldier:

See you there,

Capt. Ahearn

Re: Willamette Mission Event

Sorry, that last reply was me but i forgot to write who it was from. lol.

Jeremy

Replying to:

Light List

Horse:

Soldier:

See you there,

Capt. Ahearn