Return to Website

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting

Welcome! This is mainly a "local" forum for American Civil War cavalry reenactors in the Pacific Northwest. It will have dates of events and trainings as well as any items of interest.

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ranch work this sumer

Jeremy,

The best thing I can suggest is to get a summer job around home in preparation for getting a job on a cattle ranch. Most of the cattle ranches I know hire hands who have their own saddle and equipment, most even have their own horses. Back when I lived on the Rio King Ranch there were two "breeds" of cowboys, mainly the young guys who had more ego than brains and the old guys who had survived this dangerous milepost in their lives and were good hands.

You also might look for a job at large animal veterinary facilities where you will get an education on cattle and horses, animal restraint, medicines and a healthy respect for common sense.

You could also ask Russ Kirzinger if he needs a hand in the summer with his horse business. He lives up in Canada in Saskatchewan. Russ has tons of experience in feedlot operations as well as horse training. He would be a world of knowledge to you and he might take you on as an apprentice. You would need a work permit to work in Canada and you will have to board at his place. Write me an email if you are interested in this possibility.

Capt. Ahearn

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hey everyone,

I was just wonderin if anybody knew of a working cattle ranch here in Oregon that I could maybe try to get a job at this summer.

Jeremy

Re: Ranch work this sumer

Jeremy,

I wish I could help more on this. Truth is, If I knew I wouldn't be working security. Fact is, where you are at, I doubt you'd find much. I know of a couple of ranches down here that Might be interested in Summer help, but unfortunately, I Doubt it would be what you're looking for. C-Bow Arrow ranch used to hire teens during the summer but it was mostly mucking out stalls and prepping horses for trail rides.

The Ranch I worked on (Brooky Ranch) was run by my uncle when I worked it so I lucked out there. I worked at C-Bow because My mother was good Friends with the owner. It has changed hands as I understand it.

I have to concur with Lin that many ranchers are looking for experienced hands but that is not to say they wont hire someone younger. It is just that to start, they don't like to have them work in the field so to speak. Also, Oregon law makes it almost impossible for someone your age to work cattle or horses except for clean up work or Bucking Hay. I would definately try to find a Vet or Stable to work for to build experience. Save your money and buy your own tack. This helps.

There are a couple of reasons I can name off the top of my head, the foremost being comfort. Please do not be discouraged. If you work at these "entry Level" positions first, build some experience, then you will do better next year. Trust me, Riding fence for 16 hours can REALLY get tedious and wear a guy out. I won't even get into hearding (Cutting) vaccinations or any of that. I am just saying that alot of ranch work is hazardous and Oregon Law takes a dim view on anyone under 18 doing such work except for family.

On a lighter note, some of my favorite times were working on the ranch for my uncle. I might grumble about checking the fence line or being dragged through a cow pasture by an angry steer (had I been smart I would just have let go of the rope) but I loved it. Best luck to you. I never was one for the traditional summer jobs either. (pondering here) Come to think of it, Nor am I now.

Luck Jeremy...

Steven

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hey everyone,

I was just wonderin if anybody knew of a working cattle ranch here in Oregon that I could maybe try to get a job at this summer.

Jeremy