Return to Website

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting

Welcome! This is mainly a "local" forum for American Civil War cavalry reenactors in the Pacific Northwest. It will have dates of events and trainings as well as any items of interest.

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
McIver/Manassas AI Report

Excerpt regarding the battle at McIver/Manassas from the

Diary of Private Rick East,

9th Virginia Regiment of Cavalry, Co C

(Below is my account of the battle two days later. It is detailed for what I saw and participated in, but limited by my narrow perspective and to accounts passed down the line. Private R. East)

Confederate field hospital

July 23, 1861

We were engaged in a major battle a few days ago, which resulted in a great victory for the south. I hope it will end this dispute right quick and that the north will just let us be. Though proud to have been there, the horrors of the battlefield are something I hope not to witness again.

The company camped by a river called Clackamas near the town of Estacada the night before the battle. Early the next morning we moved to the vicinity of Manassas Junction and Bull Run Creek. Excitement rose as word spread that a large Federal force was marching out to meet us.

The 9th Virginia was deployed ahead of the Confederate right flank. Captain Ahearn ordered part of the company to dismount and take position in the woods under the command of Lt. Wood while the rest of the company stayed mounted as scouts, couriers and in the ready to deploy quickly where needed, as they did many times. Our job was to harass the advancing Federals and cause confusion in hopes of turning their left flank.

There was not much of a wait as Federal advance guard and cavalry moved toward our position. We surprised some mounted cavalry cutting through the woods, killing one and wounding a few before they retreated. Not long after, a larger group of skirmishers appeared but we had good cover and drove them off. Now we waited for the main body to advance next to our position. As the force approached, we moved out and formed a skirmish line and fired one volley into them before they turned a company on us driving us back into the woods. They did not pursue us.

But, back in the woods we were fired on by well hidden sharpshooters, the Berdans in the green uniforms. They must have moved up after we drove off the skirmishers. They began to pick off members of the unit. Lt. Wood ordered us to form a defense and kneel behind cover. We fired one volley then fired at will. After that we began working in teams of two to position, draw fire then eliminate the foe. Unfortunately the Berdans kept us pinned back in the woods, so we were unable to move out against the Federal main body again as it passed. We felt that we had failed in our mission.

The Federals were pushing our boys back. Things were looking bleak for the southern cause. The Federals seemed to be celebrating a victory which dampened our spirits. Then the sharpshooters pulled back. In desperation at this point, Lt. Wood called on us to attack once more. We coolly deployed a line of battle, took aim, and fired a volley. But there were too many Federals. They returned fire, killing and wounding a great number of our boys. The survivors escaped once more into the woods.

As morning gave way to afternoon, we thought the cause was lost. But a miracle happened. Word came that General Jackson had held the center and that reinforcements had arrived just in time to attack the Federal right flank. With that General Beauregard ordered the main Confederate line to attack at the same time. Now the Federals were being pushed back! The morale of the men immediately changed from despair to jubilation. We knew we would get a chance to hit ‘em again.

Our new orders were to come out of the woods behind a Federal battery and form a line of battle in order to capture the cannon. We had heard that earlier in the day both sides were having trouble identifying friend from foe. Since we had a hodge-podge of uniforms and so many men with blue coats we decided to use this to confuse the Federals and get as close as possible. It worked! The gunners gave us a glance but did not seem too concerned. Once both mounted and dismounted troops formed, the order to “Charge!” was given. We overran and captured two cannon from the stunned Yankees. (I heard a total of 28 cannon were captured from the Federals that day.)

We stayed in pursuit. A company regrouped to protect the Federal retreat and put one volley into us. We returned fire and then Lt. Wood ordered “Draw pistols”…… “Charge!” While the Federals were reloading their muskets, we closed the gap then let loose with our side arms. This was an exhilarating experience and an excellent tactical call by Lt Wood. We were close enough to do damage with pistols and with six shots at the ready as fast as we could fire the Federal defense crumbled. I can honestly say I shot two Federals before they could load and raise their muskets. The entire formation was destroyed and we passed by their dead and wounded bodies to continue pursuit. Eventually all Federal resistance crumbled. I saw my friend from before the war, Ken Morris, from the 10th New York Cavalry ride by under flag of truce to deliver a message from the Federal commander to the Confederate command about a cease fire. I was glad to see him unhurt and hope to see him again soon under better circumstances, but I am happy we were victorious this day. It was a rout! Maybe they will leave us alone now.

The men performed brilliantly and we felt redeemed from earlier in the day. What a glorious victory! For me, I was wounded, taking a ball in the thigh and upper arm, but was lucky they were only flesh wounds. I was evacuated to a hospital in the rear and missed the next days fighting at McIver near the Clackamas River. I look forward to rejoining the company upon my recovery.

Even though we achieved victory, the horrors of the battle keep replaying in my mind. I saw friends killed right beside me. During the pistol charge we were so close to the enemy I could see the eyes of the men and their realization that, if my shots were true, they would die, which they did. At the time I thought little of it. On thinking back, I will never erase those looks from my mind. In all over 300 Confederates and 400 Federals were killed, not to mention over 1000 wounded on each side. What a terrible price. I pray that this will turn out to be the only battle so this will never happen again.