Return to Website

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting

Welcome! This is mainly a "local" forum for American Civil War cavalry reenactors in the Pacific Northwest. It will have dates of events and trainings as well as any items of interest.

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Great Major Effort Training Weekend!

Captain,

I agree that it was a wonderful weekend training event. I was glad to have the turn out we had. I wanted to mention a couple of other things. We played a game of Shinty on Saturday night before we had a round rolling party.

We had a great time this weekend and that was very important. I want to personally thank everyone who attended. We got quite a bit accomplished and that is a good thing.

And yes, They got me out there to play Shin-ty...Sorry about your shins Jeremy . I had a great time and look forward to McIver.

Another thank you to Gene for letting us use his facilities and to KC for providing meals.

See you all at McIver...

Corporal Sturman

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Wow, this last weekend was one of those I will remember for awhile. In fact it even sparked me up for the season ahead.

Many of our dismounted men showed up to practice, sign up for the year and get their written safety tests and riding tests done for the season just starting. Not only did the 9th show up in numbers but we had members of the 1st Virginia Infantry, 4th Texas Infantry, 10th New York Cavalry, both battalion commanders, the CSA fife and drum corps and the civilian side also! The only folks who were missing were the 19th Indiana Infantry who said they would be there in numbers. Maybe the weather scared them off.

On Sunday the dismounted men went out for a tactical in the woods, sloughing through the knee-deep mud in spots in order to get away from the barn. While they were out, it rained so loud we couldn't hear ourselves speak and then it hailed and thundered and lightninged too! I was glad I decided to stay inside. Col. Betschart used the storm to work on his horse Count. It was louder than a battle in the arena and so the colonel shouted out orders to move imaginary troops for the benefit of helping his horse get used to the real thing at events.

I got to try out my new digital camcorder. Taking lots of video on Saturday - imagine my surprise when I realized none of it was recorded. I had forgotten to put a tape in! So that's what that little blinking signal meant. Well eventually it will have me taught by trial and error.

In two weeks we have our first event of the season near Estacada at McIver State Park. We will be putting up camp on Thursday. Please come by and bring your tents to get an early start on the weekend. Friday there will be 350 plus school kids attending to learn about our American Civil War.

See you there,

Capt. Ahearn

Re: Re: Great Major Effort Training Weekend!

So the good game of Shinty lives on! So glad to hear it. Worry not Corporal S, shins and knees heal. It's the teeth you need to be careful of! I am hoping to complete my test, pay my dues and see you at McIver, but I make no promises. Between two full time jobs and full time school....life is rather chaotic.

Be careful, be true to history, and HAVE FUN!

Cliff

Replying to:

Captain,

I agree that it was a wonderful weekend training event. I was glad to have the turn out we had. I wanted to mention a couple of other things. We played a game of Shinty on Saturday night before we had a round rolling party.

We had a great time this weekend and that was very important. I want to personally thank everyone who attended. We got quite a bit accomplished and that is a good thing.

And yes, They got me out there to play Shin-ty...Sorry about your shins Jeremy . I had a great time and look forward to McIver.

Another thank you to Gene for letting us use his facilities and to KC for providing meals.

See you all at McIver...

Corporal Sturman

Replying to:

Wow, this last weekend was one of those I will remember for awhile. In fact it even sparked me up for the season ahead.

Many of our dismounted men showed up to practice, sign up for the year and get their written safety tests and riding tests done for the season just starting. Not only did the 9th show up in numbers but we had members of the 1st Virginia Infantry, 4th Texas Infantry, 10th New York Cavalry, both battalion commanders, the CSA fife and drum corps and the civilian side also! The only folks who were missing were the 19th Indiana Infantry who said they would be there in numbers. Maybe the weather scared them off.

On Sunday the dismounted men went out for a tactical in the woods, sloughing through the knee-deep mud in spots in order to get away from the barn. While they were out, it rained so loud we couldn't hear ourselves speak and then it hailed and thundered and lightninged too! I was glad I decided to stay inside. Col. Betschart used the storm to work on his horse Count. It was louder than a battle in the arena and so the colonel shouted out orders to move imaginary troops for the benefit of helping his horse get used to the real thing at events.

I got to try out my new digital camcorder. Taking lots of video on Saturday - imagine my surprise when I realized none of it was recorded. I had forgotten to put a tape in! So that's what that little blinking signal meant. Well eventually it will have me taught by trial and error.

In two weeks we have our first event of the season near Estacada at McIver State Park. We will be putting up camp on Thursday. Please come by and bring your tents to get an early start on the weekend. Friday there will be 350 plus school kids attending to learn about our American Civil War.

See you there,

Capt. Ahearn

I hope you join us for the event!

Cliff, I hope you join us for the event if you can. Looks like it will be a great weekend and it will give you a breath of fresh air. There will ALWAYS be school and job responsibilities for your whole life generally, so take some time for yourself this weekend.

Capt. Ahearn

Re: I hope you join us for the event!

Well, as you all know by now, I didn't make it. Story of my life it seems like! Lin, I think you hit hte nail on the head! Always work or school, or SOMETHING! I'm trying to work a few things out, and with any luck, I'll see u all on the field of honor!

Respectfully, and fondly,

Cliff

Replying to:

Cliff, I hope you join us for the event if you can. Looks like it will be a great weekend and it will give you a breath of fresh air. There will ALWAYS be school and job responsibilities for your whole life generally, so take some time for yourself this weekend.

Capt. Ahearn

Re: Re: Re: Great Major Effort Training Weekend!

Cliff,

I hope that you are able to attend. If so, I will look forward to seeing you. We'll keep a stick ready for you. I also learned that the temptatio to misuse those Shinty Sticks is just amazing.

See everyone this weekend

Steven

Replying to:

So the good game of Shinty lives on! So glad to hear it. Worry not Corporal S, shins and knees heal. It's the teeth you need to be careful of! I am hoping to complete my test, pay my dues and see you at McIver, but I make no promises. Between two full time jobs and full time school....life is rather chaotic.

Be careful, be true to history, and HAVE FUN!

Cliff

Replying to:

Captain,

See you all at McIver...

Corporal Sturman

Replying to:

See you there,

Capt. Ahearn