Return to Website

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting

Welcome! This is mainly a "local" forum for American Civil War cavalry reenactors in the Pacific Northwest. It will have dates of events and trainings as well as any items of interest.

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Next Training - October Dates

Capt. Ahearn
Planning on attending training on the 18th and to attend the parade on November 11.

At training on the 18th I would like to video tape a trooper folding a saddle blanket while the instructions are read. This will be a good reference for us guys who need to see the pictures. Over the next year, I would also like to tape drill and other military life for use as reference to help us improve impressions. Any comments from the company?

Thanks,
Rick

Re: Re: Next Training - October Dates

Excellent idea trooper East. I have been wanting someone to make a video or at least a series of photos to help new troops figure out the military routines and disciplines.

The 1st Maine Cavalry has done an excellent set of instructions by photo under their photos, manuals and research page. Have you seen these? It covers manual of arms, saddling and placing the effects, rolling the overcoat, rolling the blanket and effects, vaulting, mounting and dismounting, and sabre exercise. Go check it out.

1st Maine Cavalry!

See you at training.
Capt. Ahearn

Re: Re: Re: Next Training - October Dates

Capt. Ahearn:
Thanks for the site reference of the 1st Maine Cavalry. I have seen that site before.

Regarding photographing drill and military life. I will be at training on Oct. 18th at Stonybrook. I ran the video tape idea by Ken Morris, asked if he would be the subject, and he agreed. Some items will be good to video tape (drill etc.) and some topics we can capture in a still photo essay with descriptions (equipment and uniform items and proper "suiting") and post on the web site. Over time we can make a nice reference. The visuals really help me, so I know it will be good for others. I have a video camera and a nice still digital camera.

I have been too slow on my research of cavalry camp layout. I have not been very satisfied with the sources. I am working through some sources provided by the Military Horse, but descriptions I have found are short. I am checking diaries of cavalrymen and always on the lookout for a photograph. (Enough excuses, I just need to get at it.)
See you soon,
Rick