Return to Website

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting

Welcome! This is mainly a "local" forum for American Civil War cavalry reenactors in the Pacific Northwest. It will have dates of events and trainings as well as any items of interest.

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A late Will. Miss. report. (sorry...not 1st person)

What a great weekend! I arrived Friday night, in the company of wonderful family and great friends! Upon my arrival, I found the men of the 9th fast asleep, so I dusted off my bedroll and joined them in the special slumber you can only obtain at a reenactment!

I woke early in the morning to the sound of a particular captain's voice (it is rather hard to ignore, you know). From there, the weekend went better and better. The battles were quite enjoyable, particularly the two on Sunday. I was extremely impressed at how well the new men handled themselves on the field. First Sergeant Randall, the McGlothlin brothers and myself attempted a flanking maneuver against the 79th and another infantry regiment (116?) in the last battle. While it did distract them for a few moments, and cost them a number of casualties, I regret to say it ended much better for them than us. We were cut off from the rest of the company, and soon bleeding out of more holes than a strainer!

SHINTY! What more need I say! Once more, the 79th New York, those famed (if skirted) lads from the other side, failed to show for the match. Since there are no longer any worthy opponents, we were forced to engage in a particularly brutal game against each other. I must say, that "Tall Trooper" (forgive me here, because my memory fails me and I remember only that his last name starts with a "K") proved himself worthy of the Shinty field, as did our gallant (if not humble) musician! Amazingly, there were only a few minor injuries! I thoroughly enjoyed the game and the people I played with and against (except Jeff Pierce.....he hurt me!

The dance was held as usual, and there was an amazing turnout. I even joined in a few dances, and found that dancing is not like riding a bike! The music was better than I expected, and I found myself humming to the tunes that I thought I had forgotten. I was very pleased that Corporal McGlothlin’s lady friend Suzanne joined us for the evening. She has been watching us reenact on and off for the last eleven years or so! About time! Eventually the dance ended and we made our way to Sergeant Jenkin’s camp. Here a number of us enjoyed the fire and each other’s company.

When the next day I saw Randall and McGlothlin head into the woods with axes and knives, I knew we were all in for a treat (perhaps a trick?). Construction was soon begun on a “Horse of Shame”. The poor troopers who had to endure the horse (Jeremy and Kelly) probably did not find it quite as humorous as many of us did!! The horse was placed directly in front of the “Sergeants Nook” and the public ate it up. Speaking of, “The Nook”, a few of us learned the rules and regulations that allow it to operate! I strongly urge all of you who have not been educated to seek out one of the sergeants at Ft. Stevens and acquaint themselves with them. It may save you a ride on the horse!

These are a few of the things which stand out in my mind from Willamette. I am writing this much after the event, so forgive the disjointedness ( I wrote about things as they entered my mind) and any omission of special events. It was great to meet so many new members (well, new to me). The future of our company looks brighter than ever. I had a wonderful time, and look forward to seeing all of you at Ft. Stevens.

Gratefully,

Cliff Self

Re: A late Will. Miss. report. (sorry...not 1st person)

Oops, figured out "Tall Trooper".....Turkington. Too many names to remember from two days!

Sorry!
Cliff

Re: Re: A late Will. Miss. report. (sorry...not 1st person)

Cliff,

We were happy to see you there. Terrible though...79th not showing up. And yes, do aquaint yourselves with the rules of the "Nook"...

Cpl. Sturman

Sgt.'s Nook Rule #1

Rule #1 The captain is ALWAYS right!

Hope to see you at Ft. Stevens Trooper Self.

Capt. A

Re: Sgt.'s Nook Rule #1

Rule Number two...If you think the Captain is wrong, Refer to rule number One.

Cpl. Sturman

Re: Re: Sgt.'s Nook Rule #1

Re: Re: Re: Sgt.'s Nook Rule #1

Hey Fella's (and ladies) of the 9th,
I just thought I would write from the LA international airport to say howdy and im makin it safly back from canada. I really enjoyed it. Sgt.s Nook rule number 3----- when your on the horse, dont talk......it only adds time.....and believe me........it AINT WORTH IT!!!!
hehe C ya at Ft. Stevens,
Trp. Jeremy