National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

General & Collecting News
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lamps converted to electric

Lamps converted to electric.
A number of lamps come up on the auction sites that
Have been converted to electric bulb, what is involved
In converting these lamps back to wick and oil, is it worth
Doing or to expensive.

Re: Lamps converted to electric

If its a common lamp and has been converted to 240v big diameter fitting, just buy and use it for spares if fit for that purpose - not worth convrting back, you can buy complete ones cheaper. If small fittings and the original bits are mostly there, it could be worth converting back for own use. There would be no profit in it to sell it on.
However if it is a rarer lamp, it is a different picture! They are more often than not well worth converting back.
I bought an Edwards Stevenson which had been electrified, a couple of years ago. Imagine my joyfull suprise when I got it and inspected it. I took the wood plinth off and found a small gauge wire had been drilled up through the vessel, but the burner and pr-cker were still there, the wire had been fed up the round wick tube and a pigmy brass bulb holder soldered to the top of the wick tube. The gauze was intact, even the inner glass and copper smoke cap were all there. It took hardly any work and little cost to make as new and the lamp basically was as new (Job was that important, I asked Maurice Dawson to do it for me! - and what an excellent job he did) It's one of my favourite lamps - a Stevenson and to cap it all - made just a few miles down the road from me in Wakefield - a local lamp!!!
If in doubt ask on the forum.