National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

General & Collecting News
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: RARE DAVID JONES BADGE BUYERS BEWRAE

I think the name person who is advertising the badge is the "Alter Ego" of another very well known ebayer buyer and seller.You only have to follow the clues to see who it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And what about the one that has not sold today???
Very Fishy.

Len cope
Why does the NMMA allow non members to advertise on the classified and attend meetings on a regular basis without committing themselves to the annual membership fee. We should allow a non member to attend once to see what we are like and who we are, then they should join or go their own way. However those tight fists who regularly use our services without diping their hands in their pockets like the rest of us do should be told to go away reciprocating (F.O.). They are taking the mick out of paid up members as they have been getting away with it for years - how about some back membership money off them also.. And it is one of the pair that came to the last meeting and who seems with his pals to have all the Dave Jones badges that have recently come to light and is just avertising on our classified to swop one.

Interesting points.

Here’s my take on things;

· I am happy to let non members advertise on our Classified Pages particularly if they have things to offer. Repeated use of the Classified Pages by none members, who free load off our meetings without joining, is a different matter. If people persist in this and enough members objected I would have no problem with deleting their adverts. This is a matter that needs to be raised with the rest of the members at a future meeting.
· I could password protect entry to only NMMA members to the Classified Pages but as its mostly non members who advertise the occasional “goodies” for sale which would be a bit counter productive to us all.
· As far as I am concerned non members are allowed to attend our meetings once. There after they are asked to join or not come back. This is stated elsewhere on this web site. Jeremy used to enforce this well but I understand he has not managed to get to all the more recent meetings. The only exception to this I have seen in the past has been when the individuals were known market dealers of mining memorabilia. In such cases they have been asked not to return without the option of becoming a member.

Personally I now think that market traders should be allowed to join the ranks of the NMMA. In the early days, like most of the others at the founding meeting of our Association, I was against letting market traders into our ranks. However, with the advert of changing times in the field of collecting plus the rise of the Internet, most of us have sold surplus items of mining memorabilia on Ebay over recent years. By the old definitions this would class most NMMA members as “dealers”. At the end of the day all our collections would be far worse off if dealers didn’t exist. I also subscribe to the thinking that it’s through the efforts of professionally minded dealers that more checks are turning up and coming onto the market.

On a separate matter I am still against password protecting this Forum also. The intent is it should be open to all and not just NMMA members, particularly as it has been the former group who have initiated some of the more interesting topics in the past. In recent days I have split the forum into a further two sub categories intended specifically for the discussion of lamp, check or badge related topics. This part of the Forum will remain a general topic area but persistent antagonistic entries, off topic entries plus those taking malicious jibes at named individuals or using bad language will be deleted if I spot them.

NMMA Webmaster

Well said Webmaster.
People who take regular advantage of NMMA facilities without paying the measly annual membership of £10-ish should not have the use of NMMA facilities. These cheap skates who have used them regularly over the years without paying should not be allowed anywhere near until they have paid the back dues and current fees. I don't know how they have the cheek. But you can't rely on everyone to be up front and honest! The person advertising quite regularly for swops on the classified who has not paid membership in years should be deleted until he pays current and back dues, as an example of your/our membership insistance that people play fair with the Association.

Dealers? Yes a lot of us do sell quite a number of surplus items and could be called dealers because of the volume of items. Also a couple of members I know, travel far and wide unearthing stuff we all would never have the oportunity of acquiring but for their efforts. They deserve to make a bit on those items for the effort they put in. They could be called dealers, but I think they are more enthusiasts than a lot of people. However dealers who have a full time professional Company that is their full time employment, I am not so sure. but as you say lets have a forum discussion or a specific meeting with enough notice to gather views from the membership

As I have commented before, a very active forum will help highlite possible problems and also educate. We all need to remain vigilant to ensure our hobby remains enjoyable and untainted.

To one of the Len Copes (that name is a Mully name) who talks about a well known e-bay buyer and seller - well I am one, but let me assure you that I am not involved in the current discovery and sale of the many (more than 8 now) DJ badges. Seasoned collectors know very well who they are and a lot say things are quite unusual about so many being discovered all at once, which takes us right back to the post that started all this discussion!!

hi webmaster, with regards letting dealers join, i sell my surplus checks on ebay from collections iv bought and taken many to meetings for fellow collectors at £4 each, many members will vouch for this, im a collector come dealer then,i know fellow members move some on at various places like elsecar antique fair and have cabinets at elsecar heritage centre for a profit, but these are felow collectors not just dealers,and i have no problem with this, but i know a dealer who would bust a gut just to walk into one of our meetings and clean up just £4 to move them on in his cabinet and at car boots he stands,hes no interest in mining whatsoever, that i object to, thats my opinion. pete.

Letting Dealers into the NMMA

pete , the real one
I know a dealer who would bust a gut just to walk into one of our meetings and clean up just £4 to move them on in his cabinet and at car boots he stands, hes no interest in mining whatsoever, that I object to, thats my opinion. pete.

Fair comment Pete - I can see your point but couldn't you also argue that in selling off the dross from our swaps albumns (the kind of stuff that wouldn't normally even sell on ebay) to the dealer (if he's willing to give a decent price) only means the checks go back into the wider collecting market which ultimately encourages new collectors and expands the hoppy? I can't see anyone selling anything good to a professional dealer anyway unless they are happy with the price they are getting off him.

Re: Letting Dealers into the NMMA

why dont you put the full phone number ? he might have some swaps

01924 827223
Yorkshire Post was on sale at Pinderfields Hospital at 10 am yesterday.

Whats wrong with a collector advertising for memorabilia? It beats knocking on every door in Yorkshire to ask if they have any mining stuff in the attic to sell?
A collector will advertise to acquire stuff for his/her collection. It's only same as putting the ad in our classified!!
I might give it a go myself, I'll see what todays YP list the ad rates at. Anyone know what the best day is to put the ad in? And whether it is Day or Evening Post to use?
I did actually ring this number to find out who it was, and it is a collector with a small collection, trying to build his collection up. However he was cagey about giving me prices, so I told him to make sure he did not cheat little old ladies with rip off prices. He also puts cards in shop windows all over the place. If you want to keep up, don't gripe, get out there and do it, don't let him win all the goodies!!!

he was cagey because he isnt a collector, lets all give him a ring and ask him what swaps he has,.

I've chucked that YP away, what was his number I will ring him again and tell him I have been informed he is not a collector, but a dealer and I will see what his response is!!!!
Any more information on him?

His number is further up the page !!!!!!

On my page it is starred out, maybe edited by webmaster. Send to my e-mail, then it does not compromise the forum.

1 2