National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

General & Collecting News
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
RARE DAVID JONES BADGE BUYERS BEWRAE

2 RARE DAVID JONES BADGES ON EBAY AT SAME TIME! SEEMS A BIT ODD TO ME AND I THINK ITS SAME SELLER UNDER DIFFERENT EBAY MAMES, HAVE SOME MORE JUST BEEN MADE? BUYER BEWARE.

Re: RARE DAVID JONES BADGE BUYERS BEWRAE

Yes it does make you think ???????????????????????Very, very rare then two turns up together!! Both Pontefract.

BILL 2, obviously Mully with the emphasis on Pontefract, where I live!!
However Pontefract covers a very big postal area from near Goole over to near Barnsley; and from near Doncaster to near Leeds. The heart of the Yorkshire coalfields!!!
I do know who the two sellers are, and both were at the last NMMA meeting at Caphouse together. And at least one of them attended the Davy Jones memorial meetings, so will know most of the 50+ people who also did.
Also it can be noted that there are/were at least three (or more!!??) of these badges in circulation recently, because I bought one, a few weeks ago, from one of these sellers for a lot of money.
Interesting to note that bidder 2 on the earlier one withdrew a £160 bid as "entered wrong ammount", but then does not enter a corrected bid, or any other bid on either badge.
It would be disasterous for the miners badge collectors fraternity if FAKING found its way into this hobby, because enamel badges are easy to get made (Especially if someone has access to the original dies) and do not cost much to get small batches of imitations of rare badges made. If a few of these are then sold for serious money, then it would leave the persons concerned with a serious profit.
It is up to us all to remain vigilant and be suspicious of any irregularities than arise. As they say BUYER BEWARE, and keep evryone informed on this forum. Also know where your badges are coming from, and if rare, what their history of ownership is!!
No wonder the first poster on this subject is suspicious, as both ads have different titles, different pictures BUT the same description - word for word.
I have a vested interest in hoping that these recent badges are genuine, as I have bought one!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are some facts to make as you will!! Other contributors that do not wish to put their heads above the ramparts have pointed out the following to me.
There are now at least seven of these badges that have come to light recently. The two that are highlighted on these postings, at least 3 other people (and Me!!) that have bought one privately and presumably 1 each held by the two sellers that are collectors also.
The winning bidder No4 of the first one is the same person as the leading bidder at the moment of the second one (coincidentally No4 also) Why would someone win one and then bid on the other. There are only two explanations I can think of!!!!!!!!! One is that the winning bidder is shoring up the value he has paid for his, or someone has an interest in maximising the price of the badges and ended up winning the first by error!!
The underbidder to the winning bid on the first is a well known collector who will pay big money. He is now the underbidder in this second auction and presumably will go to more than the first winning bid to obtain one. That is a dangerous position to be in, because the price can run riot!!!!!!!!!!!
I repeat that I hope all is correct about these badges and that peoples concerns are unfounded, because I have bought one!!!
Anyone else have any information on this topic?

I see A bidder on the second one has now retracted his bids!!

shill bidding,....thats why bid retracted, the badge was given to the "friends" of daves when they attended the anniversary of his death, how many badges were made? how did they know how many of daves "friends" would turn up, will daves "friends" donate the money they make from these badges (which were given free,... because there daves "friends", to justice of mineworkers, your comments appreciated.

I see bidder no4 has now retracted two bids on the second badge stating they had put wrong amount in.Twice on the same badge ???????????????????????
Something very fishy going on here.Someone is going to get their fingers burnt.

The last Dave Jones and BILL DER posts raise some very interesting issues. Especially when one of the sellers was the one who first brought this badge to the attention of Bian Witts book, which promptd the comments from Brian, given quite honestly on taking the information given to him as kosher, commented that it may qualify for the rare 25. This put immense value on the badges immediately. Now the person who sent the information to Brian and his mate are making big money from these badges.
I think it is time some of the questions raised, especially the ones immediately above, are answered with positive and proveable facts.
I would like to know definately that the badge I have is genuine.

Looking at the bidding pattern on the badge,bidder 4 has bid, to up the price and when he has found out he is the highest bidder he has immediately withdrawn it.And then he has done it again. Who makes mistakes like this ???? SCHILL BIDDERS OF COURSE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone may have had a stack of these badges made and are after "Big Money"

As the heading says "BUYER BEWARE"

next time they have a reunion on the anniversary of daves death i want to go because i want to be one of daves friends and get a badge. they will probably be a lot there after a badge, i bet dave didnt know he had so many "friends".

DAVE JONES
will daves "friends" donate the money they make from these badges (which were given free,... because there daves "friends", to justice of mineworkers, your comments appreciated.

Yes, why should any money go to J for MWs. These people haven't got a place in todays world. Its 25 years ago since the strike and we have all moved on. I susspect this organisation keeps things going for their own iterests. I bet theres not much money to donate to anyone once they have taken out their expenses and running fees. What do they do with the money they are still collecting?

who's J for MWs.?

JUSTICE FOR MINEWORKERS. WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH THE MONEY??? WHERE ARE THE MINEWORKERS WHO NEED HELPING THESE DAYS???

thats a point, next time i see them collecting ill ask,

Charles Birdsall
It was one of the sellers who first brought this badge to the attention of Bian Witts, which promptd the comments from Brian, given quite honestly on taking the information given to him as kosher, commented that it may qualify for the rare 25. This put immense value on the badges immediately. Now the person who sent the information to Brian and his mate are making big money from these badges.

So were these badges reported by a badge collector or just a member of the public who wrote in to Brian when they heard about the publishing of his book? It sounds like something very fishy is going on in the badge world now. What else is known about who has been currently selling these badges.

An adjustment to the above post - I am now informed that one or both of the sellers are friends with the person that first notified the badge to Brian for the book, and it is not the notifier that is selling either of the two badges.
Also it was only one of the sellers that was at Caphouse together with the notifier.
There are a lot of collectors who have commented to me and others on the issue, so there seems to be quite a lot of concern about.

this badge is going backwards, its £51 now, bidder 3 and 4 retracted bids, bidder 4 has never bid on a item of mining memorabilia, then bids £380 on a badge!!! looks like he got someone to shill bid the item up, ill ask ebay to have a look.

Yes,very fishy.Bidder 3 puts a £370 bid in and then withdraws it 4 days later ??????????????????????
Says he put the wrong price in ????and it took him 4 days to realise this.IT STINKS AND SOMEONE IS SCHILL BIDDING.

AND WE STILL DON'T KNOW IF THE BADGES ARE KOSHER!! AS THE POST SAID THAT STARTED THIS WHOLE THREAD - HAS SOMEONE HAD SOME MORE MADE? OR WERE THERE MORE THAN 55 MADE IN THE FIRST PLACE, AS ANOTHER POST ASKS ABOVE?
ITS DODGEY DODGEY, VERY VERY DODGEY.

Its absolutely amazing that the second badge has come back down to £51, as schill bidders got cold feet and tried to cover their tracks.
So what happened on the first one, who were the schill bidders and who ended up with it? If not a schill bidder who overcooked it, who was it and how do they feel about ending up with a schill bidded badge that may be dodgey in any case!!?

BADGE NOW BACK AT £370---WATCH THIS SPACE???????????

Is It a Bird, is it a plane, is it superman?
No its a YoYo badge. More mysterious than Sherlock. More secretive than Mata Hari. More sinister than Don Corleone. More front than Jordan. More a Pirate Highjacker than the Somalian Boat People. Hollywood will be bidding for the film rights soon!!
Friends in high places!!

I see bidder 4 has joined the bidding again.He's pushed it up to £380.(But he has not taken the lead). He's had 3 bids retracted in 6 months and bidder 3 who pulled out has had 4 bids retracted in 6 months.Schill bidders obviously.I'll bet someone retracts another bid before the end.

Justice for Mineworkers, I beleive, still support the men who were dismissed and POLITICALLY isolated from getting work, after having outrageous or trumped up charges laid against them during the strike. After being prevented sneakily from getting a job for a long time by the dark forces of the Government, it was then very very hard to get any Company to shortlist many of them for a job. After this I suppose that some of the Men got so disheartened they mentally could not cope with keeping on trying!! And don't think that being on the social makes anyone a fortune or a good affluent life. I'll bet those guys can't afford £470 for a badge!! It may be 25yrs and some people are lucky to have moved on successfully, but some of these Guys are still alive and not that lucky, many have industrial illness problems also. So the Organisers of JFMW support these people as much as they can, but JFMW is not making a fortune, and many of the people making and selling strike related anniversary, copy, reproduction or fake badges are not contributing to them. I am told that the sales of the new Badge Collectors Bible has benefitted JFMW very generously and I commend the Author on his generousity. I urge all collectors who have spare commoner badges, checks or memorabilia to donate them to JFMW or the many Banner restoration charities to sell on their stalls.
It would be nice for a person from JFMW to post a short piece on the work they are doing.
And it would be nice for the sellers of high value badges or checks to give details of the provenance in their listing. The two sellers that caused this series of posts maybe to put on here details of provenance of the many DJ badges they have unearthed recently, as many people were interested in bidding, but unsure as to authenticity. I can ask direct but many people are interested in the issue, so one answer to many people! And not just KMA.

iT MUST BE POINTED OUT THAT Mr Birdsall is a Dealer on
EBay and in it for the money, all this Referance to
Poor Miners, is a load of Bol**oaks.

Can you tell us Mr Birdsall what you were involved in
with regards to the Police in Yorkshire, and the Booze
trade in 1983 - 1984

WHY DON'T YOU TELL US THEN IF YOU KNOW.

I see Dayoil and Mr Birdsall have had a meeting and decided to put their postage at the same level.Still too dear.

I knew Mully would wet his pants, eager to get into the fray!!
Mully nor any other Bu--er knows what I do or why, and never will. One thing is for certain is that I have built up an impressive collection of Checks, Badges and Lamps in a relatively short period of time. And some People have been priviledged to see it. Others not, and never will be (eat your heart out Mully and the rest of you Skates). So Dealer I am not, but like Carlsberg, if I was, it would probably be the best in the land!
And you, whoever you are, hiding behind false monikers(which shows what low lifes you are!) have no consideration for the Poor Blokes that toiled for our energy industry and were sh-t on by the Government and then let down by Skates like you not supporting them in their hours of need.
And my job in 84/85, and before and after, was indeed production of soft drinks and distribution of beer wines and spirits. I remember well our local mining union lads coming into the factory site and telling us not to supply the police with little pops and beer etc. My Dad, (a far greater Man than you arrissholes, who will not stand true with identity, will ever be) stood in the yard in his overalls and stated " Lads, I don't tell you how to run your strike, don't come here and tell me how to run my effing business!! And that was all there was to it! We supported the Miners as our Customers and if it took some extra profit to do it made from supplying the police with little pops - what the hell!!
The thing is that Mully and all the other arrisholes, who throw brickbats, never had the priviledge of being in such a position. Nobodies, going nowhere, doing nothing!
Continue to support JFMW and all other mining related charities. It will come back again because it is our energy resource.
Have a nice day y'all.
I'm lovin it!

blummin eck, a meeting just to agree on postage, how do you know?, can you tell us where and when this important meeting took place.

hi len, just checked the postage, dayoil is constant, been same for ages, 24clb adjusted is up & down till got a average, obviously you wont be bidding then on any of there items if you think postage too high, good, gives us more chance.

Cheers Pete?????????????????????????

Why does the NMMA allow non members to advertise on the classified and attend meetings on a regular basis without committing themselves to the annual membership fee. We should allow a non member to attend once to see what we are like and who we are, then they should join or go their own way. However those tight fists who regularly use our services without diping their hands in their pockets like the rest of us do should be told to go away reciprocating (F.O.). They are taking the mick out of paid up members as they have been getting away with it for years - how about some back membership money off them also.. And it is one of the pair that came to the last meeting and who seems with his pals to have all the Dave Jones badges that have recently come to light and is just avertising on our classified to swop one.

1 2