National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

Mining Checks, Tallies, Tokens & Medals
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Put your money where your mouth is.

According to the original post on this subject Trading Standards were requesting experienced collectors to come forward as expert witnesses in a court of law in order to push through this case. If you fit the bill of such a request and want something done then volunteer to help. If not then be prepared to put up with things.

Re: Dominic Jones

A few days ago I bought a Wet Earth Colliery pay check from the scoundrel from Telford referred to here. There was an exchange of e-mails before the end of the e-bay auction in which I asked what the background to this collection was as I intended to place the check on display at an imminent exhibition and any information about the background of the piece would be helpful. (The exhibition took place on Sunday 12th May). He told me he had responded to an advert in a Manchester newspaper and had bought a collection from the advertiser, a bookseller from Shudehill in Manchester city centre. This was supposed to have happened in the 1970's. I have his e-mails which of course are all nonsense. It fooled me and I paid by paypal, giving a positive feedback. I have been contacted by two members of the NMMA who have told me the truth and suggested I contact you. Apart from the sum of money fraudulently extracted from me, there is the matter of preventing him from doing this again. Kindly let me know if I can help you in your efforts to stop him.
I am an angry man and perhaps the NMMA member was not wise in giving me an address and telephone number for this man.
Regards
Craig Brisbane,
230 Heywood Road, Prestwich, Manchester, M25 2GW, Tel:(0161) 772 0311

Did you leave positive Feedback for the item you bought.

cant you read, craig says he left positive feedback as anyone would not knowing of its originality, or am i replying to one of fakers alias'

Re: Put your money where your mouth is.

now come on!! who on earth is going to stand up in a court of law, a ridiculous notion! who would put themselves through that. i dont know the legalities of how a case like this would be investigated but what it boils down to is that this fraudster(and everyone knows he is one) has scammed honest people out of their hard earned money. as regards an expert witness who fits the bill better than the curator of the salford mining museum who has openly voiced his opinion on his rubbish!
what goes aroun comes around, he will finally be stopped, lets hope they throw the key away!!!!!!

So why does he not report the situation on his sales on ebay to
Dominic Jones of Telford Trading standards, this is what this column is all about.

As it happens I am well aware of, and have training in, my legal rights and the legalities involved in taking this matter up a notch or two in the legal sense. At the moment there has been a series of responses from concerned NMMA members and one individual who seems to have had a recent identical experience even down to the same colliery. This has all to be looked at before moving on to a discussion with the Telford Chamber of Commerce. Watch this space.

Regards, Craig

Dear Craig
Its not Telford chamber of commerce, if you send it there they will just bin it.
Its Telford trading standards the man is Dominic Jones the full address is in
the top forum of this page, you say you know somebody else who has dealt
with the same person, get as many people on board as you can, you don’t
have to send the actual pit check just a picture but it must be by your own making
not a copy of ebay, as anybody can do that.
This guy has many alias, but he has to have one return address, its important
that you and others use the same address in your correspondence with
Telford.
Also if you know somebody in engineering get them to make statement as to
how the pit check was made, then if they visit this guy they know what equipment
they are looking for.
Best Regards Dave

Looking at the latest offerings it's hard to beleive that a genuine collector would be fooled by them.The lettering on them is shocking and uneven.
Some have been classed as "RARE". They're probably still warm.
No colliery would have entertained such rubbish.
If they were genuine, collectors with better brains and bigger pockets would have them.
We will still keep letting the gullible know what they are wasting their money on. "ONE BORN EVERY MINUTE".

Dear all
Bond 008 is quite right to describe me as gullible, and I do feel that I have been caught in the trap laid by the forger. I am not a collector of checks particularly, although I have one from Agecroft colliery. I collect ephemera and historic items from the Irwell Valley and that includes that part of Clifton that includes the Wet Earth Colliery. I already have a few genuine items and I was aware of just two checks from this site. It was clearly my hope that I had come across a third. The collectors at NMMA will at least understand that desire to own something rare. This is what the forger is depending on of course, hoping that we will suspend our disbelief in the hope that it turns out to be a genuine check. Bond 008 is right to point out that a knowledgeable collector would not be fooled...but I have not yet gained that knowledge. Buyer beware indeed.
The check is on its way to CarnaudMetalbox Engineers for analysis. They are part of the Crown empire of engineering businesses.
Sending e-mails is one thing. Taking the lead role in this business is quite another. Thanks to all the guys who have contacted me either through this medium or directly. I gave my full contact details in my first e-mail and this has proved to be useful for those with a concern for privacy. That privacy will be respected as information is collected.
Thankyou NMMA members.

Hi everybody
Doveholes latest attempt at justifying his fakery is to attack the NMMA
On replying to his feedback to one of his buyers he is urging them to visit a site lencope.tripod.com this is full of his drivel, discrediting a lot of long term collectors, honest people, many ex pitmen.
Some of his comments boil down to being not just idiotic but childish brandishing one rare check as a lampost token!!!
I would urge everybody, not just the members he has named to send what we call a warning and what he calls unsolicited mail.!!!

Trading Standards
Trading Standards

It has now been 4 months since the top message appeared to
Report the dodgy dealer to Telford TS in general collecting and news
seeing that the guy is selling more than ever, putting up for sale 10 checks a week and selling this week 8 of them, it would appear that
Dominic Jones is not only not doing anything about it, he is
Not interested, has anybody had any communication from him as to
The situation.

Are you there Dominic, why cant you reply to us
I have sent 200 pictures of Dodgy pit checks to
Dominic but there is no reply.