National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

Mining Checks, Tallies, Tokens & Medals
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WELSH PIT CHECKS

This post is probably Mulliner, pointing us to his latest offerings.

121071432014 original Cefn Coed square check, quite common, but has been altered with the addition of the top two rows of stamping to make it look rarer

121071437288 Sengewydd. A stamped common check, with the original number left on, the rest filled and filed. Then the circles of stamping added to make a "rare" check, but is a total Fake.

121071455736 Aberaman. Altered as above.

121071465311 Abercwmbol. Altered as above.

121071471241 River Level. Altered as above.

All unmitigated fakes. However new collectors or Family keepsake buyers have bids on them. Please all genuine collectors spread the word about these.

Mulliner is getting very good at these now and they look credible checks. He obviously has bought the correct jigs, stamps and dies to produce these, as well as getting better at making embossing dies.

I don't think all our members and genuine collectors realise what damage this man is doing to our hobby. He has, AND IS, producing scores of these fakes, which once into circulation, will stop there for years to come and pollute/devalue our hobby.

PLEASE EVERYONE UNITE, SPREAD THE WORD AND DO OUR BEST TO LIMIT THIS MANS ACTIVITIES. ITS YOUR HOBBY HE IS RUINING AS WELL!!!!

The checks i refer to are the ones by mothercoot he has put 60
up for sale in the last 2weeks so this
guy is mulliner as you say.

All checks sold by Mothercoot are 100% Genuine Welsh Lamp checks as found
in the book by Brian Hoskins A COLLECTORS GUIDE TO WELSH LAMP CHECKS. The
checks you see for sale are actually of the ones in the book.

Thats right I am selling my whole collection with the help of
dovehole, snipepit, and my sites checklamp1 and mothercoot on ebay.
and dayoil, Birdsall, and bilinda239, will not get a look in, they are banned ….

Best Regards Brian Hoskins .. senior

The checks described above by myself are FAKES and are the work of Robert Mulliner of Telford, who is not Brian Hoskins of South Wales.

The checks offered for sale by Brian Hoskins - mothercoot - are all genuine WELSH CHECKS, WITH SOME OF THEM BEING QUITE RARE.

The last post purportedly from Brian is obviously a fake alias message from Mulliner. This is part of his usual modus operandi. I would very much doubt that Brian would entertain the likes of Mulliner the master faker. The first mistake in that post is that checklamp1 has only sold 1 item since September 2012, so is not a seller listing Welsh CHECKS.

Pleased to see that Mulliner is showing proper respect and has put capital B at the front of my name in his alias post!! He knows I can spot his fakes at a hundred paces and he can't pull the wool over my eyes. Since I, and other dedicated collectors, put paid to his scam of getting hundreds of pounds each for his fakes several years ago, and narrowed his market down to getting only £10 or£20 a time now, he has been spitting blood. But he knows we will always be on his case. Unfortunately we will not be able to stop him completely while there are idiots still willing to buy his trash, even though they have been warned. The stop will only come when he turns his toes up, which will not be too soon, but his legacy will remain in our hobby for years to come.

Recently I purchased three Welsh pit checks on behalf of an elderly neighbour whose hobby is collecting these. He had been tipped off about some checks on Ebay and he doesn't have a computer so asked me if I would help.
We bought the three from a seller called Snipepit and the address was Manchester.
Since then I have received an email telling me that Snipepit is a conman and that the checks are fakes.
Can you advise me if this might be correct and how would someone know if they are fakes? This is my first sight of pit checks so I have absolutely no idea about them. What should I do?
Thank you in advance for your advice.

Sincerely
Eileen

Who did you recive an email from.