National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

Mining Checks, Tallies, Tokens & Medals
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Makers of lamp checks.

Sorting through a some notes on coal mining, miners lamps etc., I came across the following transcriptions of adverts from issues of The Colliery Guardian in 1923-4 which may be of interest to collectors :

CG 27th April 1923 page 991.

Ackroyd & Best
Glasses for all lighting purposes.
Motties, Tokens, Coins etc.

Same issue, page 996.

Brass Labels.
Edward Pryor & Co
112 - 116 Rockingham St. Sheffield
Labels of every conceivable shape and size stamped, cast, or chemically engraved in a variety of metals. Pierced and consecutively numbered if so desired. Samples on application.

CG 28th March 1924, page 834.

Brass Time Checks.
John Lawson & Sons
Manufacturers of every kind of
Steel Stamps, Letters,
Figures, Brands, Stencil
Plates &c.

Roebuck Letter Works, 26 Carver Lane, Sheffield.

CG 16th May, 1924, page 1284.

John King & Co (Leeds) Ltd
Climax Malleable Works
Garnet Road
Leeds.

King's Unbreakable Motties

Collier Type Hurrier's Types
Numbered on both sides Numbered on one
side only.

Alan Vickers.

Re: Makers of lamp checks.

Hello Alan

Thanks for this information.

I've made a list of companies that made colliery checks in the UK and John Lawson & Sons are a new one on me.

There were quite a few spread across Yorkshire, several in Birmingham plus at least one in South Wales. So far I've only managed to record two in the North East.

If you come across any more adverts like these please send me their full details please.

Any chance you could send me high quality scans of each of these ads mention below as they were published? It would be good to have them on file.

All the best

Mark

Thanks Mark.

It was about ten years ago that I found these adverts. At the time I was trying to record adverts for lamp makers, oil suppliers, wick makers etc, using volumes of The Colliery Guardian in the library of the Mining Institute at Newcastle on Tyne. These volumes are very large and bulky and at that time I was unable to use a scanner so I made a transcription of the sdverts. They have remained amongst a collection of notes that I had not properly recorded and I felt it better to post the transcriptions on the forum so that others may make use of them or perhaps follow up the references if they are able to visit the mining institute.

As you know I am a histprian and not a collector but I have wondered how much earlier these adverts appeared.

In relation to the Ackroyd & Best advert I wonder about the reference to 'coin' and how this fits in.

Alan Vickers

hi alan, ackroyds used to make money for foreign countries thats why the word "coin" is in advert, locals called it "the morley mint" regards pete.

British East Africa 1920 A? Florin - $11,500.00
This coin appears to be a hybrid of the Royal Mint and Ackroyd & Best(Morley) strikings.The coin is an early specimen strike on rusty,or deteriorated dies that when viewed from the right angle shows clear evidence of the original 'A' Mintmark which has been removed.The presumption is that the Royal Mint has resumed a working die from the Morley Mint which it re-tooled so as to strike it's own issue.Interesting and rare.Ex the Museum of

On the subject of adverts and Ackroyd & Best. I have a polished wooden carrying box about 18" x 4" x 4" which contains quite a few glass slides, in very good condition for their age. They show in sequence various A& B lamps and equipment and various adverts of A&B of the time. I think it is an early form of a reps presentation kit, which must be quite rare and unique. Has anyone else come across these?

The e-mail of Oak Victoria is a known e-mail address of an alias of Mulliner, the master faker of Telford. All the content of his posts are the usual misleading accusations he has used over all the time we have known about him. All just repeated time and again to try and legitimise his rubbish fakes. Steer well clear of his items.
Well done Mark for keep publishing pictures of his work on your rogues gallery.

where do we find Marks rogues gallery of fakes?
thanks

On this site. Just click on the "NMMA PICTURE GALLERY" that is at the top of the page.
There you will see over 100 FAKES from the Telford To*ser.
If more people followed this, he would not sell a FAKE.

PASS THE MESSAGE ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS.

I see the NMMA have a box at cawthorne antiques shop near Barnsley advertising wanting & selling miners lamp checks.Is the association now endorsing this activity or is this a rogue dealer trying to use the NMMA to con and dupe members of the public.

Cross Section Forum Posting Rules

While the reporting of the misuse of the NMMA’a name is a relevant topic this type of osting clearly falls under the heading of “General Collecting News” and as such should be posted elsewhere on the forum. Any further off topic or cross posted items will be deleted under the new forum rules (see above). To post in the "General News" section of the forum please apply to Jeremy Winter for a password key. Only password requests from recognised collectors or NMMA members will be issued a password key.

Thanks

Webmaster