National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

Mining Checks, Tallies, Tokens & Medals
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Miners Association Badges/Checks From the West Midlands Area.

Does anyone know which Miners’ Associations (MAs) served the South Staffordshire Coalfield in the area now covered by the West Midlands metropolitan district? In addition to the West Bromwich MA I know of the Pelsall MA and it is possible that the northern part of this coalfield was also served by the Cannock Chase MA.

If anyone has a list of individually listed colliery lodges that made up any of these three or any other South Staffs MAs please post them in reply together with any pictures of early lodge badges/checks from this area.

After the Notts. MA the Cannock and Pelsall MAs appear to have been very prolific issuers of membership badges/checks whereas anything from the West Brom. MA appears to be very rare. The MA badges/checks from this coalfield always appear to be in the name of the MA only. Does anyone know of any examples that also include the name of an issuing lodge on them also?

Thanks

Mark Smith

Re: Miners Association Badges/Checks From the West Midlands Area.

Most collectors will probably know the common brass oval association checks with WB Miners Association embossed on them. Are these from the West Bromwich Miners Association or the Wath Branch of the YMA? Most people I have spoken to say they are from West Bromwich. Does anyone know for sure?

Alf

i always thought it was west bretton

John Hammond’s collectors' guide book to Trade Union Badges has these 28mm by 24mm brass embossed oval checks listed as being issued by the West Bromwich Miners’ Association. This interpretation of the "WB" would make sense whereas the alternatives of Wath Branch Miners’ Association or West Bretton Miners’ Association don’t seem so convincing to me. Both Wath and West Bretton would have come under the Yorkshire Miners' Association so surely if these checks had been issued by either of these two places then they would have a reference to the YMA on them?

I DONT KNOW IF THIS LODGE WAS PART OF THE WBMA BUT IT IS FROM THE RIGHT PART OF THE COUNTRY.

ROB

a very nice example, well done.

BOB - HERES ANOTHER ONE FROM THE BLACK COUNTRY FOR YOU.

RT