National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

Mining Checks, Tallies, Tokens & Medals
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Yorkshire Diamonds Checks

List of the Yorkshire Diamonds Checks. Can anyone add to the list? Post a pic also.
all embossed .
IS THIS THE LIST?
PECK - Peckfield
FRY - Fryston
GH - Glass Houghton
PECKFIELD - Peckfield
AB - Allerton Bywater
KELL - Kellingley
LED L. - Ledston Luck
NEW. M (NEWMARKET? NEWMILLERDAM? NEW MONKTON?)
P OF W - Prince of Wales
PRIMHILL - Primrose Hill
SAVILE - Savile
SNY - Snydale
WHEL - Wheldale
WHIT - Whitwood

charles@charlesbirdsall.co.uk

Re: The Yorkshire Diamonds Checks

Hi Charles

I can't add to your list.

I can't say I've seen the one with PECKFIELD in full on it. Can you post a picture of it if you have one please?

Can anyone confirm what these checks were used for? I was once told that this check design was used in this area of the Yorks. Coalfield as pay checks.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks for all your replies with interesting information Mark. I have looked at the PECKFIELD diamond closely and someone has nicely fashioned it out of a square one, but it looks the part! A case of unintentional early fakery!!!!
Can the rest of our Members or readership shed any light on any of the lists posted?????
Charles

hi, nice set, i need a prim hill, anybody got a spare?

Hi, I can't help you Pete, but I know a man who can make you one and have it in the post tomorrow.
It looks like he's made a Peckfield check for CLB.

im nearly certain the new m is newmarket as all the checks are from castleford area, and i was also told this by a well known collector.

hi hissing sid, i could make one myself if i wanted, iv hundreds of the bloody things here all over kitchen worktops.

If I remember rightly, the West Riding colliery had some diamond checks.

Siddy Ma Boy, do you mean a West Riding diamond same shape/design as the ones listed? Anyone got one? Post a pic.
If I wanted a fake, I also have dozens of spare checks, I could make them from. However I am currently selling all my spares on E-Bay. Take a look, you may not have some of them.
The posative thing recently is that Pete and Myself are/have selling/sold nearly 3000 checks, between us, as well as other collector sellers offering checks also. And you know what, although prices are way down from the high of 2/3 years ago (I have lost loads of money on selling checks currently, I bought at the high price point), most of them are selling!!! That means there are still loads of collectors active out there!! Which I think is fantastic. Rock on Tommy too many checks.

The West Riding was not the same as the others.My mistake. It was more like the Linby checks with 4 pointed corners.

I would really like to see the pictures.

What pictures do you want … the so called diamond checks come up
All the time on the auction site, as for the anniversary badges I see
A new lot of new designs has just come on the market, it will be
The same as the miners strike badges, if one sells well Birdoil will have
Another 50 made up.

I see that Mulliner is not there, so were is he selling now, dont forget folks, Always buy of the members of
the NMMA, THEY ARE TRUSTED PEOPLE.

There's a rumour going round he's down London.
He got the order for 500 Bronze Medals.

He assured Seb Coe they would all look the same.

hi I've got a hexagon hick which is short for hickleton and man which is manvers i think,,I've recently come across some pit checks but alas I don't know much about them so any info anyone can give me would be very helpful.