National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

Mining Checks, Tallies, Tokens & Medals
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Donisthorpe Checks

This is how to bring the value of a pits checks down to worthless in collecting terms. 300 identical Donisthorpe checks for sale!!!
However if you worked at Donisthorpe, the check numbers are listed, so you may be able to buy your own number back!!!

Re: Donisthorpe Checks

Yes it tends to bring the price down. Just like item
370465044657 This is the second batch of fifty all from Mansfield.And you can put your own numbers on these. There will probably another 50 after Christmas.

Wherever you are,HAVE A GOOD ONE.

It's a case with some people "I'M ALRIGHT JACK".

Yes Bond,
I have over 2000 (literally a bucket full) Alloy Daw Mill checks in several diffrent varieties. I think I will melt them down, as these are the commonest check around anyway, so it won't have any impact one way or t'other. However if someone finds a bucket full of rarer checks, maybe theres a case for melting them down also to maintain collectability. After all a few sold out of the bucket at high price is just as much return financially, as selling the whole bucket full as cheap as chips.
There have been instances in past where rare valuable checks have been made cheap and common by someone finding a bucket full and flooding the market with them. Instances of this are the Pope & Pearson and more recently the Birchenwood.Lower down the scale was the Thrislington, but the man there filtered them onto the market at a good price without a lot of people realising it, then suddenly everyone realised how many there were and t' price dropped drastically, which did not please those who had bought at the higher price.
Add to this the depression in values of checks,enamel badges and Association recently (other than the rarer ones that are holding up in good value)and the amount of commoner ones on the market at the moment, then the wheels maybe falling off the hobby!!
Lets see what next year brings.
Best wishes to everyone for Xmas (except one in Telford) and a happy collecting New Year

Before you decide to melt the checks down,the Telford T****r might like to have them and he can make you a few rare ones. Job done.

P.S.Which type of Pope & Pearson checks were they?

They were copper and slightly smaller than the correct version. I will try and post some pics tommorrow.

Hi Bond,
I understand from sources that Mulliner bought a batch of the 50 Mansfield checks, so watch out for recreations of new "Ghost Pits". And you know it was not me selling them, I would have sooner thrown them into the flames of Hell, than sold anything to him.He is on my blocked bidders list in any case. I reccomend everyone to put him on your blocked bidder list under all his identities. And if a new identity pops up, delete the bid and block it.
So all collectors be on the lookout for faked up Mansfields, and let us know on here if you see any anywhere.

Hardly pit checks, the Donisthorp are only 1 inch across
more like truck/load tallys and there is no size on
the mansfield tallys.