National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

Mining Checks, Tallies, Tokens & Medals
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Balls Hill Colliery Tokens

The owner of Balls Hill Colliery, (and Mill Pool) Thomas Millership is my Gr8/Gr8/Gr8 Grandfather. He lived at Bromwich Hall in 1859, then Balls Hill House. For 7 years he was Church Warden at the local Old Church. He issued TRUCK Tokens with Balls C0lliery stamped on them and the words 'WASTE NOT WANT NOT' on one side.

If anyone has more info on Thomas Millership I would be grateful to hear from them for my family history research.

Many Thanks

Alan F Millership, Weston super Mare.

Re: Balls Hill Colliery Tokens

Hi Alan

When did Thomas Millership issue these tokens? Do you have any paper work related to their story which directly connects him with them. While these scarce tokens have been known about for years nobody to my knowledge has ever been able to prove who was responsible for them. So your information would be worth recording.

Regards

Mark Smith

Hello Mark

Sorry to be a pain but we are in the middle of packing to move to Yorkshire very soon- all docs/info now in boxes etc- will research/find asap and get back to you

Cheers Alan M

Hi Alan

How did the house move go? Are you able to tell us any more about these tokens now that you can get access to your paperwork and family records again. The tokens carry the date of 1819 in Roman numerals.

Any information would be of great interest.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Alan

Any more news about your families involvement in the use of these tokens?

Thanks

Mark