National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

Mining Lamps, Badges & Ephemra
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MINERS LAMPS ON E-BAY

i have recently had a new experience with e-bay, i won and paid for a lamp fair and square,the ad had a photo of the said lamp?, when i contacted the seller - he could not find the lamp or had lost it.(obviously it was around when the photo was taken). very dissapointing! has any one else had a similar experience or such bad luck, ive mislaid a few bits in the past but i have never "lost" a complete lamp yet!

Re: MINERS LAMPS ON E-BAY

I had a similar experience with a purchase of a pair of lamps. I agreed a price with a guy for them and sent a cheque. However I happened to mention these lamps at a small gathering of collectors, and one of the collectors went behind my back and contacted the seller and gazumped me. The seller sent my cheque back. Not cricket from either and very sneaky and back stabbing from the other collector!!! But C'est la vie. I know what a shanker the other collector is now, don't I!!!

I have had experience of people selling a lamp using the exact same photo of a lamp i had already purchased some weeks before
and in one instance two people selling lamps at the same time using a photo of a lamp neither of them were selling
excuse was they were using "stock photo's"

ATB Andy

My Case
I put a lamp up for sale on ebay, there were 6 bidders the lamp sold for
£150, the lamp was delivered, the buyer was happy with the deal he left
positive feedback.
3 days later the buyer sent me a message, he was not happy with the lamp
the lamp is a fake, he has had a message from 2 experts, regarding this lamp.
He wants his money back, I told him he must open a case in the resolution centre
He opens a case, my reply, did you get unsolicited mail after you left feedback regarding this sale, the buyer does not reply.
4 days later I offer him his money back on return of the lamp.
The return address is the second chance bidder on the lamp.

The outcome:
The first bidder has no lamp but gets his money back, but has to spend
£15 sending the lamp to post the lamp to the second chance bidder.

The second chance bidder pays me £150, he his happy with the sale as he
has saved himself £15 postage on the lamp, and then puts
it up for sale on ebay for £250, it sells.

I WONDER WHO SENT THE UNSOLICITED MAIL TO THE FIRST BIDDER

The return address should have been yours, so how come it went somewhere else??
SHILL BIDDING I PRESUME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've just had another one ,
i bid on a pair of Protector GR6S's last month and won them for the princely sum of 26 quid for the pair as you can imagine i paid for them straight away ,better still the guy had them down for just six quid postage . Needless to say after waiting a week i tried to contact him but got no response then tonight i get a buyer not paid for message
only to find that this morning 10 days after i paid for them the ****er has credited my pay pal account with a full refund and seems to have notified ebay that i didn't pay him
i have started a dispute with ebay but don't really see the point , as they ain't going to send someone round and force him to hand them over
could you imagine if every seller did this , just because he didn't get what he thought his item was worth ?

YEP
THAT OLD CHESTNUT AGAIN! EXACTLY THE POINT I WAS MAKING WHEN I STARTED THIS LITTLE DEBATE, E-BAY IS AN AUCTION AND THE SELLERS SHOULD ACCEPT THAT. THEY WOULD NOT GET AWAY WITH IT ELSEWHERE.IF THEY WANT A FORTUNE FOR SOMETHING LET THE START PRICE REFLECT THAT - AND TAKE THEIR CHANCES THAT WAY, KEEP US INFOMED AS THIS TRICK IS BECOMING MORE COMMONPLACE, ITS JUST THE SILLY EXCUSES THAT VARY!

I guess the bottom line is that the internet auction sites do not care .They have took no action against the guy who sells the fake mining checks. From my personal experience you are wasting your time complaining to them at all. They just want to take their listing fees and final fee commission and not dirty their hands with problems when they arise. Also there is nothing stopping sellers saying they have lost or misplaced the item for sale and then issuing a refund if they are not happy with the price it fetched at auction. The same could be said about private listings and shill bidding, wide open to abuse. It appears they have the monopoly on internet auctions and there is little regulation. Compulsory provision of paypal payments is another subject which should be investigated by the monopolies & mergers commission. A nice little earner when you also own paypal.

Well said Checkmate. There isn't an Auction House in the country that would let these go to auction without stating that they are FAKES before the bidding starts.That is EXCEPT EBAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regarding the ebay bidders,one born every minute springs to mind.

Here is great auction for beautifully crafted nautical ship miner lamps, coal mining lamps/lanterns. heavy & large size brass coal miner lamp.
Classic style miner lamp in antiqued brass. good working burner and clear glass.
This beautiful brass lanterns is not sold as an antique, this is well made reproduction nautical piece for grab.