National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

Mining Lamps, Badges & Ephemra
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Information on SL Lamp

Hi Guys,

Would anyone have any drawings of information on the Protector SL Lamp?

I'm trying to get one back to working order but can't get any resistance across the lighter wire.

I think that there must be insullation between the two poles holding the wire but I think it's missing from my lamp.

I know that the SL and most other protector lamps aren't really collectable - but it's just a nice lamp that I'd like to have working again.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Re: Information on SL Lamp

There is some information on servicing these lamps on the Protector Lamp website and also some information on Utube. I found the following information included in a reply to an enquirer about the filament used in the lamps :

" ... approx 4 volts applied accross the vessel and the glass plate. You need to make sure all the insulating washers are intact. You can use thin fuse wire in place of the platinum wire. "

Apparantly Protector cannot supply platinum wire.

Alan Vickers

onotoman
I know that the SL and most other protector lamps aren't really collectable - but it's just a nice lamp that I'd like to have working again.

....depends what you mean by "collectable".

If you're into investment value, rarity, age, then no. If you're an ex-miner of a certain age....who's got fond memories of Protector SL's, GR6S's etc., who just wants to get back in touch with a bit of his past, and own a fine bit of British engineering - then they're very collectable!

No one on here would look twice at an Oldham Type T cap lamp, an MSA self rescuer, an NCB plastic helmet or kneepads - I've got them (some that I wore in the pit), and I don't give a flying **** what they'd fetch on eBay!!!!

Let us know on the miners' forum how you get on with the SL

Hi Rob,

Not an ex-miner as such but I did work for Huwood in 1980s and spent 3 months working in Seaham and Vane Tempest pits and came into contact with safety lamps - probably Type 6, but the SL I have looks like it has some history, so it'll be a nice piece to get working.

I still have my old white helmet with cap lamp clip and the belt that looks to be made from conveyor belt :-)

Rob, telford
onotoman

....depends what you mean by "collectable".

If you're into investment value, rarity, age, then no. If you're an ex-miner of a certain age....who's got fond memories of Protector SL's, GR6S's etc., who just wants to get back in touch with a bit of his past, and own a fine bit of British engineering - then they're very collectable!

No one on here would look twice at an Oldham Type T cap lamp, an MSA self rescuer, an NCB plastic helmet or kneepads - I've got them (some that I wore in the pit), and I don't give a flying **** what they'd fetch on eBay!!!!

Let us know on the miners' forum how you get on with the SL

"the belt that looks to be made from conveyor belt"

A few years earlier I had the genuine NCB item (you could tell because it was stamped "NCB" every few inches). It was made of leather, but the big joke was the strap across the back for your lamp battery - attached to the main belt with a couple of crappy little rivets - several pounds of battery just where it would catch on the roof when you were crawling - after the first few weeks everyone just threaded their battery on the main belt after one of the rivets had snapped.

The kneepads were made of old conveyor belting (by Remploy if I remember correctly), and were pretty well indestructable, but the straps were crap.

Yes, I seem to remember pulling the battery around to the side on low sections.

Our knee pads had really thick leather straps and I kept them for years after. They've gone missing now though - just when my wife could have done with them for a recent Canoe trip - she ended up buying some from Aldi, which weren't a patch on the Seaham Specials..

As for lamps - I'm not really a collector (yet) but a Patterson and some of the North East manufactured ones are on my list - once the SL is up and running.

Rob, Telford
"the belt that looks to be made from conveyor belt"

A few years earlier I had the genuine NCB item (you could tell because it was stamped "NCB" every few inches). It was made of leather, but the big joke was the strap across the back for your lamp battery - attached to the main belt with a couple of crappy little rivets - several pounds of battery just where it would catch on the roof when you were crawling - after the first few weeks everyone just threaded their battery on the main belt after one of the rivets had snapped.

The kneepads were made of old conveyor belting (by Remploy if I remember correctly), and were pretty well indestructable, but the straps were crap.